1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get to desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rvccpa, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvccpa

rvccpa Thread Starter

On my son's machine running Win XP Home, Internet Explorer was not working. He started using Firefox without any problems. Today, using Firefox, I downloaded and installed IE 7 hoping it would correct the problem. After it installed, it said to restart the machine. I did, and now I get an error message saying that explorer has an error and will not open. I can no longer even get to the desktop on that machine. Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Can I make a bootup CD on my machine and use that to start his? We both have Compaq machines. If that can be done, what would I do next? Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

2. norton850

norton850

Are you able to boot up into Safe Mode?

3. Carey934

Carey934

Boot into safe mode and use System Restore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!