1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant get to DOS

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by WTom, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WTom

WTom Thread Starter

Please help me out here, im trying to reinstall Windows XP but I want to format first. Now im on a laptop and i cant get into DOS from the load up screen as my laptop goes straight to a screen that says Compaq and then the Windows XP logon page. Ive tried the bootdisk but for some reason it wont recognize my commands. Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

you probably need to set your bios to boot from cdrom first. you can usually get to the bios by pressing the F1 or F10 key during the compaq logo. once you get into bios look for somewhere to change the boot order, theres probably a Boot Menu tab and change it to cdrom then save and exit and it should automatically detect the windowsxp cd and say "press any key to boot to cd" and just press enter. also you don't need dos to format, unless of course you prefer it. there is an option within winxp's setup to format. either a quick format or a full format.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't get to DOS while booting XP because there is no DOS available. The only way to get to DOS is boot from a CD or floppy with DOS at that point. Why do you feel the need to "get to DOS"?

4. WTom

WTom Thread Starter

Because I need to format my computer. Ive tried the boot disk and it wouldnt take any of my commands.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You format the disk during a Windows XP install. You don't have to do it before the install like you did with Win 9X.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice