1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant get to system recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andytwonames, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andytwonames

andytwonames Thread Starter

I know less than I thought I did!

A friend purchated a Philips MT5000 Freevent machine recently and wanted to install Win XP instead of Vista. The shop told him that drivers were 'easily available' for xp.

The machine has a recovery partition.

To install XP (legal copy!) I formatted the main partition using the XP install CD, ran the rest of the process and the install went fine. After some extensive searching, we could not find the drivers we needed.

Friend has now decided to return the PC for his money back as the machine has all sorts of gizmos which he will never use. The shop will refund him so long as it is set back to the vista install.

Here's the bit where I reveal myself as an idiot!

The built in recovery is accessed by pressing F8 as the machine boots. This, of course, no longer works because F8 now accesses all the safe mode/recovery stuff for the XP installation.

How can I get at the vista recovery partition? Can I just make that partition active? I am scared to do any more incase I completely screw it up.

Andy.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it was a partition on one hard drive the XP format probably wiped the partition. Do you have restore disks for the way it came because that should put it all back. if not, buy them from whoever you bought the pc from, as I am sure they will sell them to you.

3. andytwonames

The partition with the recovery files/software on is intact, I just don't know how to access it since the format of the main c:\ partition removed the access to it.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Access is usually a F code which is before the OS. It has to be accessible before the OS especially if you are unable to boot. I still think there are restore disks available for $20 from most vendors.

5. andytwonames

Machine boots perfectly well. As I said, the hard drive has two partitions, one has the o/s on it (I wiped Vista and put XP on there) the other partition has the recovery files on it.

I just want to be able to kick of a restore of the pc to the factory delivered state.

What is an F code?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

F Keys are the top keys on your keyboard, hence F10 key could be the entry pushed during bootup or whatever it really is. You need to call seller and find out.

7. andytwonames

OK. You referred to it as an F CODE first time which is why I didn't know what you meant.

As already explained, I cannot access the recovery partition via use of the F8 key because win XP recovery stuff gets invoked.

The recovery stuff is still there, I am hoping that someone on here who knows how these things work will be able to tell me how to access it.

Maybe I need to change something in boot.ini or maybe something in the MBR. Maybe just making the recovery partition active will do the trick.

I am sure that someone KNOWS the answer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice