1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get video to work, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StepsInSC, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

I fear I may have badly damaged my computer. First off, my specs:

PIII 600
    VIA Apollo Pro 133 Mobo
    386Mbs RAM (1 stick of 128 from when it was built for me, and 1 stick of 256 I added a few months ago)
    Geforce II GTS
    Soundblaster Live
    Kenwood 72x (not functional)
    Phillips 8x4x32 CDRW
    WD 30gb HD

Okay here's the deal...the shortened version. For the past few days I've been tinkering with my system trying to get the best 3d mark scores I could, (i.e. overclocking a tad). Well today I decided to up the FSB to 133 from 100mhz. To do this I changed one of the jumpers that controlled the FSB speed which required moving my video card to be able to get to it. So I did that. It booted up fine, I changed the multiplier so it was at 600mhz with 133 FSB. after the next reboot I noticed it was only loading up 128Mbs of RAM though. After trying some other things(with some advice from xperts) I assumed the stick of 256 just couldn't handle that FSB speed. Sooooo I took out the video card, moved the jumper back to where it belonged, and wa la. Powered on...except I can't get a picture on my monitor. I restarted several times, and either 1)it sounded like it was booting and I got no picture or 2)it didn't boot at all and I got several long beeps (which I've been told is probably caused by the memory not being in right). I removed one of the sticks of RAM and I havn't gotten any unusual beeps from the mobo since, but I still cannot get a picture. The video card is in securely, the jumpers are in securely and set to 100. I've even tried them at 133 again since the last time I got video working was when it was at 133. I've tried it w/ different sticks of RAM, I can't get a picture. Is there anything I can do before I assume that I fried either 1)my motherboard or 2)my video card? And I have tried hooking up another monitor to the card, still no picture.

And if you're sure that I probably fried my video card could someone explain a little bit about ESD to me? I mean I know the basics, I also ground myself by holding the unpainted frame when working inside the case...does that get rid of all the static in your body? Its embarrasing to admit but I did do some stupid crap. I don't really know where to keep the parts when they're not in the computer (i.e. I'm a newbie) and I sat the video card down on a wooden desktop or a magazine top, it never touched the carpet however I was working on it on a carpeted floor (yes yes, I know i'm a moron!)

Well any suggestions would be appreciated...and remember I'm a noob so don't get toooo technical on me. At least I learned a lot from this experience...but hopefully there's something that can be done? Anyone know of anything?? And like I said I can hear it getting power...so I know I need to get my hands on another video card and see if that is the problem...I really hope its not my whole mobo. Buying a replacement of the same video card is cheap but if I have to buy a whole new mobo I'm going to end up spending 1000 bucks I dont have on a whole new rig!

2. brianF

brianF

Pull the video card and try it in another machine.

Even with a 133mhz bus speed your agp bus should not have bother a gforce card, they can take the higher bus speed. I ran mine like that for a year and a half.

What bothers me is you say you changed the multiplier, that's impossible on an intel chip. It is locked internally. so it keep the 6 multiplier and the 133 bus for 800, most coppermine 600's will do 800.

did you put the multiplier and front side bus jumpers back to the proper locations.

multiplier 6.0 and fsb at 100

I really don't think video cards are that static sensitive, doubt if it was ESD.

What is your motherboard make and model.

3. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

The ONLY jumpers I moved around was the one that controlled the FSB bus speed, there are 2 jumpers right next ot each other and my mobo manual states what position they need to be in in order to set the FSB speed. I.E. they were both covering pins 1-2 for 100mhz and to get 133 I just had to move on of the cover to the 2-3 position.

As far as the multiplier...after I changed the jumper for a FSB of 133 I loaded up and went into the BIOS. There my computer was set at like 133 x 3 (it was around 400 something MHz). So I just hit page up and went up to 600mhz. I thought in Pentiums you could change the multiplier up to what it was originally set for. When my computer was set at 100 FSB the multiplier was 6 right? (I'm assuming the multiplier was 6 x 100=600mhz). However I could go higher then that, I think the multiplier could be set up to 7 or something. And like after changing the bus speed to 133, i scrolled through the multipliers and some of them got the CPU up over 1ghz (yes I know it won't function at that insane speed, I never set it more than 600mhz total). hope that helps. I never changed any jumpers for the multiplier.

4. brianF

brianF

doesn't matter what it says in the bios or what you set that multiplier at, it will remain at 6, that's it. Many have tried and non have succeded to change the multiplier after Intel starting locking them.

Put everything back the way it was, 6 x 100
    agp bus at 2/3 pci bus at 1/3 if you have those options available.

If that doesn't work you may have to pull the cmos battery out to clear cmos and hope it resets to defaults.

5. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you mean by put it back, I'm assuming you mean via the jumpers since I can't load up the computer. Right now all the jumpers are where they were. I've tried it several times. I only moved one jumper and now its back to where it originally was.

As far as the multiplier, i just want to be sure I have it right...so you can change it in the BIOS but it wont actually run at that speed? Because like I upped the multiplier one time to 6.5 and it said when it booted up it was running at 650mhz. And my 3dmark score was 150 points better then when it was at 600mhz.

6. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

Oh and I'm not quite sure what you mean by setting the AGP and PCI to 1/3 and 2/3. I kind of know that the two jumpers involving FSB also involve AGP and PCI clock speeds...but my mobo manual says that no matter what pins the jumpers are on that control the FSB, the AGP clock will always be 66mhz and the PCI clock will always be 33mhz. Don't know if that helps any, sorry if what I'm saying isn't making sense/not being helpful.

7. brianF

brianF

Not a chance, I have been overclocking intel chips for years and never ever had one that you could change the multiplier at. The bios may be fool enough to say it did but if you run a diagnostic program it will tell you the bios are wrong.

Intel started locking the bios on P2's something like the 350's. After that it never worked again, some people would try to mask out a pin to get it to work and that didn't really work well either.

Your going to need to reset your cmos, look at your motherboard manual for instructions how to do it. Some need to have a jumper changed, some you can just pull out the battery for awhile.

It's probably that your cpu is set incorrectly and can't boot.

Some machines you can hold down the insert key or the delete key when you try to start it and it will set the processor back to defaults, but not sure if it will work on yours or not.

I have overclocked mine to far and it wouldn't boot, had to hold the delete key down (abit motherboard) to reset the cpu to motherboard defaults to get it to boot and then go in and reset the cpu settings.

8. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

alright apparantly to reset the CMOS on my mobo you have to move a jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3 then back to 1-2. I did this and still no luck. I'm sorry for all these questions but there's probably something I don't know to do. I moved the jumper then booted up, and nothing. Is there something else that I should do?

9. brianF

brianF

As long as you have the power cord unplugged when you did it that's it.

Guess you need to disconnect everything except the processor, memory, video card, Reseat all the devices, processor, memory and video card, remove and reinsert into motheroboard. try to get it to post.
    If you only have one stick of memory in try it in a different socket, try the other stick alone in different sockets

Double and triple check those jumpers to make sure you have them back correctly. If your motherboard has softmenu type bios make sure jumpers are set to allow softmenu to control rather than jumpers(but I don't think you have it)

Try the video card on another machine, but even if the video card was shot you would still hear the machine startup, beeps, something.

Could be the processor is cooked if for some reason you vcore voltage changed when you where messing with the jumpers.

If anything failed, I would think processor or video card, motherboard would be the last to go.

10. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

Okay I'll give that a shot, but be warned I've never done anything like that. The most i've fiddled with is the video card and memory. But guess its worth a shot.

11. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

actually one more quick question...and its a stupid one. Is there anyways of knowing for sure which pins on the mobo are pins 1,2, and 3? Because I'm pretty sure I put the jumpers back where they're supposed to go but I could be mistaken. And they're not labeled...so I thought maybe there was a general rule like left to right I would assume or down to up (depending on how you're looking at the mobo)?

12. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

nevermind i just reset the video card and i got into the BIOS. Everything is red though but I'm guessing thats normal. Time to load everything I spose.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice