1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get Win2000 and XP machines to talk to each other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by junglefish, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junglefish

junglefish Thread Starter

This is a plea to help keep the last remaining hairs from being tugged from
    my sadly balding scalp!

I have two PCs. One runs Win 2000 Pro, the other runs Win XP Home.

They are each connected to a Netgear router which is, in turn, connected to
    the Internet by cable.

The router acts as a DHCP server and allocates IPs to the two PCs on the fly. They're currently 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.

Both PCs are members of a Windows workgroup called MYNETWORK.

Folders on both PCs are shared and web-shared.

Both PCs run Sygate Personal Firewall, enabled on both PCs, and the XP PC's
    own Internet Firewall has been disabled.

So much for the background. As far as the XP PC is concerned, it thinks it's the only PC in that workgroup. The 2000 PC thinks that it is the only PC in that workgroup.

Both PCs see the internet via the router fine. Both PCs can ping the router. Neither PC can ping the other.

I had this working once, but then the XP machine had a crash and needed to be rebooted and since then I can't get them to talk to each other.

Can anybody help??

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Could be the Sygate firewalls. Have you disabled them as well?

3. junglefish

Yep, have tried with them enabled and disabled.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As a test, you might try uninstalling any firewall software rather than disabling it, There have been serveral posts in the past month or so where this solved the problem, especially if you can't even ping the other computer's IP address.

5. junglefish

Bob / MM

Problem solved! You were of course correct about it being firewall related. Here's the solution:

*Exit* the firewall software, as opposed to just disabling it or going the whole hog and uninstalling it (I guess it must make a difference). Bingo, the machines can see each other. Then, you can relaunch the firewall software, and it doesn't make any difference, so long as its settings are all correct, which they were in my case.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice