1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't go back to Windows XP after Linux install !!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gandalf_theg, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gandalf_theg

gandalf_theg Thread Starter

Please help me !!!

Yesterday I installed Suse Linux 10 and Grub on MBR. Everything went ok. I rebooted the system, selected Windows, Windows runs, but at the end, it shows a light blue screen saying this message:

autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK

then he reboots itself.

I put the Windows XP CD, gone to the Recovery section and discovered that the file autochk.exe exists in foulder Windows\system32. I can't understand why he can't read it anymore.

Meanwhile, with comand map I saw the partitions table and there was no C:\ anymore. Why did GRUB do this ???

Please help me. Otherwise I will lose everything :( :(

2. Jag11

Jag11

tried System Restore?

3. gandalf_theg

gandalf_theg Thread Starter

I solved the problem. I was using Boot Magic from Partition Magic has my primary dual booter from Windows before installing Linux and Grub. I had an old recovery disk from Boot Magic and everything got to normal again. I'm so relieved. :)

I hope administrator won't forget this problem, because it could happen to many more people.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice