1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant hear flash or windows sounds

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by namenone, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. namenone

namenone Thread Starter

Hey,

My windows sounds dont work for example when i log in my user i dont hear the windows tune, i also cannot hear flash videos that are on the net.. ive had this for a while now so cant really do system restore without loosing things,

any ideas how to fix this? please?

2. TRBMan

TRBMan

Did you check your settings in control panel?

3. namenone

namenone Thread Starter

yep i have.. ive noticed that widnows sound recorder buttons dotn work either theyre all grey,

also wihen i choose sounds for windows in the sound box in control panel the playback button is greyed out.. ;S

4. TRBMan

TRBMan

Is all of your firmware up-to-date?

5. namenone

namenone Thread Starter

yep everythign is up to date i dotn knwo whats causing the problem and its soo annoying

6. namenone

namenone Thread Starter

if i roll back to liek 1 month ago can i roll back foward

7. TRBMan

TRBMan

Yes, if you roll back, you can undo the System Restore.

I am not sure if that is what you mean by "roll back forward" though.

8. namenone

namenone Thread Starter

as in if i roll back to the 10th, can i roll back to the present?

9. TRBMan

TRBMan

I am not sure.

10. namenone

namenone Thread Starter

i done a system restore and it was taking long to log back in so i restarted. now my account is messed up but my brothers one is fine.. myone looks weird like the cross in the corner is small etc and my mouse sensitivity is low.

when i try do windows ssearch it comes up with the old search type box and encounters a windows error. theres no icons in the bottem right except network icon.. am i better of rolling back again

i also found i cant apply any backgrounds to my desktop..

11. namenone

namenone Thread Starter

is there a way to create a new account on windows and transfer all the old stuff from my other account ot the new one? how

12. homerjhanson

homerjhanson

I was wondering if you ever got an answer that worked. Believe it or not, I have had the exact same problem. please email me at [email protected] if you did get it fixed.
    If I don't find an answer soon I am going to have no other choice but to wipe everything out and do a total reinstall. I have an emachine therefore, my files are in a ghost image so I can't just extract the files I need for windows.

13. minesh01

minesh01

I had the same problem and carrying out the above will problaly resolve it. BAsically the default microsoft codecs are not installed - corrupt - has issues. Anyways, you can check the codecs installed by going to control panel, sound and audio controllers, going to hardware tab, clicking the audio codecs entry and selecting properties. before you run the above fix, you will find 2-3 entries in there.

1. control panel, add hardware, next, YES hardware connected, goto bottom of list for add a new hardware device.
    2. Install hardware manually (Advanced), select sound, video and game controllers, have disk and point to "C:\windows\system32" and file mmdriver.inf.
    3. Select a codec to install, you maybe asked for windows xp disk.
    4. repeat until all codecs are installed.

do not install the (MCI) ones as they are legacy. you can also try reinstalling them if they are already there (remove one at a time and readded it)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice