1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't identify my apps

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gdbiederman, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gdbiederman

gdbiederman Thread Starter

I have collected a large number of applications, mostly utilities.
    Some of them I don't use very often and sometimes when I need
    them I forget that I have them. I need some kind of software
    (preferably freeware or shareware) that will allow me to make a
    short note beside the names of my programs to explain what they
    are. Any suggestions?

2. eoJeoJ

eoJeoJ

Hey there's no need for an app to do this, Windows has it built in!! (y) :D

Anyway, I use Win2K but I'm pretty sure its the same for other versions of Windows as well...just right click on the program Icon, and goto Properties...and in the "Comment" box just type a short description. Now, when you highlight that Icon, just wait a second for the yellow dialog box to appear, which shows what is written in the "Comment" box... :D

Hope that helps!

3. gdbiederman

gdbiederman Thread Starter

Thanks,
    It sounded like a good idea but when I tried, it didn't work. After I clicked on
    properties most of the programs didn't have a place for comments, some did.
    When I typed in the comments they didn't show in the yellow window. I'm using
    Windows XP home. Maybe there's a different way. :confused:

4. Moby

Moby

You get the commets option if you right click a shortcut icon to the programme rather than right click the programme icon itself. You could therefore make sure all your icons to the programme are shortcuts on the desktop or wherever you have them. For example you could right click all your programmes from the programme folders or start programmes, send to desktop as a shortcut, then drag the shortcuts to to the taskbar, your taskbar may well fill up but you can drag them over from right to left, so you have an arrow on the left that will pop up all your programmes. You can right click them to add your comments and have instant access to the list of what you have. You can either have a big list pop up when you click the arrows or you can then subdivide them into folders when they pop up as I have done. Hover over them and your description is there as per my example.
    For this you'll need quick launch enabled in the taskbar.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice