1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't identify network Windows 7. Please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by serpicobeard, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serpicobeard

serpicobeard Thread Starter

Sometimes when i first turn on my PC i can't connect to my wireless network and the connection status stays at "identifying". It seems totally random as other times (like right now) it works just fine.
    I'm using a Real Tek rtl8191s wlan adapter and a BT Home Hub 3.
    I've tried turning the hub off and on multiple times, removing the network in the network and sharing center and then connecting to it from scratch and i've set my adapter settings to "obtain IP address automatically" and it doesn't make any difference as sometimes i still can't connect to the network.

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me crazy.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    An Xirrus screen shot when the wireless connection is fine and another one when the problem is occurring may help ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

As Terry implies, you may have contending WIFI with a neighbour.
    Seeing that map he asks for will allow us to see who is using what and therefore suggest a lesser used channel.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice