1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't import contacts/calendar from .pst

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by b4red, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b4red

b4red Thread Starter

I've got Windows XP, newly installed Office 2007.

Here's the history: I formerly had Outlook 2000, and my .pst went over the 2GB limit, so my Outlook stopped working. Did a patch that truncated the file below 2GB, tried to bring it back into Outlook, but it didn't work.

We installed Outlook 2007, tried to bring back the >2GB .pst, but it appears to be corrupted (we assume--is it?), won't work. When we tried to bring back the truncated file, the first time (we replaced duplicates) it brings back email and over 8000 reminders (some are simply emails, others appeared to be contacts and calendar entries); the second time (we did allow duplicates) I got a few of my tasks back, but not all, and it didn't bring back reminders and does not populate contacts or calendars.

One

Any suggestions most appreciated!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You do have a BACKUP copy that you made just before you applied the patch?

If so, try and import that copy into 2007.

3. zbomb33

zbomb33

Sounds like you may be SOL if you don't have a backup like Dave said. Essentially, you did corrupt the file by truncating it.

4. b4red

b4red Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick responses.

The truncated file is a new file; the original 2+GB file still exists, but it doesn't seem to work. Some research we did indicated that going over the 2GB limit in Outlook 2000 was what corrupted it. Otherwise, it should be as simple as taking a file too big for an earlier version of Outlook and importing it to a later version that has bigger capacity.

5. zbomb33

zbomb33

What I've done in the past to get around this is to make another PST file in Outlook 2000. Then try to essentially split it in half. I noticed you said your outlook doesn't work at all right (the old outlook)? If it is that far gone, you may really be at a loss here. Hopefully someone else with more experience in 2000 will chime in, you can't be the first this has happened to.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice