1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't import mail to Thunderbird from Yhaoo mail on Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Laura7491, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Laura7491

Laura7491 Thread Starter

Hello, I have a question... actually 2 questions... 1) is Mozilla Thundebird compatible with Windows 10. Yes or No?? If Yes - 2) HOW to import e-mail from Yahoo mail into Thunderbird on W/10?. My husband's computer has W/10 and I am unable to import his mail into Thunderbird .

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, it's compatible, just make sure you are using the latest version: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Not sure what you mean by import from Yahoo. If you are using Yahoo mail on the web and you want to use it with an email client like Thunderbird then you need to setup the email account in Thunderbird and it can download the emails. Here's a good guide on setting it up using IMAP which will give you all the folders you see on the web: http://pop2imap.com/yahoo_thunderbird.php

Edit:

If you want the Yahoo Contacts and Calendar then there are two extra steps: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-yahoo

3. Laura7491

Laura7491 Thread Starter

Hi Triple6, we set up an account on TB and he started getting new mail there.. But it's important to get his mail from Yahoo and contacts.. I should use "download" word....

I am going to use your links, one at time. First - to d/l mail . I am not sure if Yahoo mail is a webmail.. It's Yahoo ATT not Yahoo.com.

Editing: When reading the steps in article I got a question... I am not sure which options I use IMAP (remove folders) or POP3 (keep folders on your computer). I am unsure.. The article says tick "IMAP (remove folders)". Remove folders from where? He needs to transfer all his folders... Ya know, before I do this I wanna be clear what the heck I am doing. LOL

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You probably set it up using POP instead of IMAP. POP only gets email in the Inbox and nothing else. IMAP is what you need to get all the folders. Contacts need to be exported and imported.

5. Laura7491

Laura7491 Thread Starter

Oy, I am confused... You said using POP... But then you said it only gets mail from Inbox... He needs ALL the folders downloaded too.. I am not familiar with d/l mail into Thunderbird, have never done it.
    That is why I want to double and triple check before I do this. .... Or I will be in big trouble if his folders will not be downloaded. :(

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You are mis-reading. I said that you probably set the account up as POP instead of IMAP. That means you should have set up the email account as IMAP.

You also misread the article. It says remote not remove.

7. Laura7491

Laura7491 Thread Starter

Oops.. mis-read is possible... I am very sorry.. One of those under the weather "ADD" (attention deficit disorder) days, Thanks a bunch for your help. I really appreciate it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice