1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install anything, including new antivirus!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by minstermansam, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minstermansam

minstermansam Thread Starter

Hi All,

Really hoping you can help with a big problem I'm having. Apologies if its been dealt with elsewhere, but for the life of me I can't find anytihng similar anywhere else on the web.

Ok. So my internet security software (Avast) popped up telling me it needed renewing, I decided instead to buy Norton. It arrived this evening and I duly disconnected from the internet, uninstalled Avast, restarted my computer, then put in the Norton Disc, autorun opened up a little Norton launcher that gave me a few options, including 'install Norton Internet Security'. I clicked it and... nothing. restarted a few times and this is always the result.

I then went to the website to get the product through download, got it, double clicked it, then clicked run. Nothing. I moved it to the desktop for easier access. tried a few more times, still nothing.

I then figured I'd try reinstalling Avast, I went into my download folder and found the file, clicked it and got a 'Windows could not find C:\User\...\Downloads\Avast...' message. I get this for all downloads, wherever I place them, I therefore can't install anything new by downloading :(. All fixes I've seen for any small portion of my problems have involved doing this.

Other fixes have involved going into the registry, and wouldn't you know it, 'windows cannot find c:\regedit'.

I've just tried shifting another file to the desktop and now I get the 'windows cannot find...' message when I try running that aswell from the desktop. weirdly it appears that windows tries to open it twice now, or to try to open both files at the same time.

Windows was refusing to install the latest updates before I even started trying to change antivirus.

Weirdly whenever I try to open anything through Explorer it now opens every new folder in a new window, even though I have the option ticked to open them in the same window. not sure whether this is related or not. It's probably just proof that my registry is all messed up all of a sudden, and I guess that's due to malware :(.

It's a Windows 7 Dell XPS 8300 if that helps, I've also added an SSD that it's booting off. I'm sure there's more info required, let me know what it is if you're willing to help me out (please someone be willing!!).

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice