1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install correct drivers on XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeRybicki, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeRybicki

JoeRybicki Thread Starter

I had to reinstall XP, I believe my soundcard is SigmaTel STAC9750/51 so I downloaded the right drivers but when I try to install I get a message saying "Device object not found". It's very frustrating and I really hope someone can help! Thanks.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you install the chipset driver after reinstalling Windows?

3. JoeRybicki

Ah, no I didn't. how would I find out which chipset drivers I need?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Go to your motherboard manufacturers site, find your EXACT board and all the drivers for the board should be at the site. If your machine is a mass produced machine such as Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. go to the machine manufacturers site and find your drivers by the machine's model number.

5. JoeRybicki

I downloaded the chipset drivers, but when I try to open Setup, it says it can't continue because the directory path plus the installation folder name exceeds 88 characters. Any ideas?

6. JoeRybicki

I moved the file closer to the root and I can now install, hope this works.

7. JoeRybicki

I installed the chipset drivers, but now I have another problem. When I use Everest to find info it says I need Sigmatel STAC9750/51 but when I try to install it always says 'Device object not present'. The PC manufacturer's website says I need Realtek AC97 but when I try to install that, it starts installing but then I get a blue screen and have to restart the computer. I'm very confused.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

The way I reinstall Windows is to install it from the installation disk, then install any service packs necessary to install service pack 3. After service pack 3 is installed, reboot and install the motherboard drivers starting with the chipset driver first. Reboot after each motherboard driver is installed.

If your machine is a custom machine post the EXACT make, model and revision of the motherboard. If it is a mass produced machine, post the EXACT make and model of the machine. Also, post the reinstallation media where it indicates if the reinstallation media includes service pack 1, 2 or 3.

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice