1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Install Drivers or reinstall ME!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JJE-ME, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JJE-ME

JJE-ME Thread Starter

Well this whole mess started when I installed a driver that I thought would enhance my DVD. When I installed the driver (WDM Cinema from Nvidia) it turned my computer to something like a TV. Nothing would load, just my wall paper would show. So I booted up in safe mode and unistalled the driver, when it uninstalled I erased (very stupid of me) some system files that the driver was sharing. Now my dvd doesn't work. It says that something is wrong with my dvd navigator. So now I'm trying to reinstall new drivers and Windows just freezes. It won't even let me reinstall Windows. So that's where I am now, going crazy and about to throw this computer out the window! Thanks for reading and I'll be waiting for your help. JJE-ME

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi JJE-ME, Welcome to TSG!!
    Can you get into a DOS prompt? If you can type system /restore
    (Note space between m and /) Then hit enter. Select a previos registry backup before this happened. See what happens!

3. JJE-ME

JJE-ME Thread Starter

Thanks TW56 for answering so guickly.
    Well I did what you told me to and nothing. I couldn't go thru ms dos because Windows-ME doesn't have a DOS prompt, but I did it thru help and support. I tried several restore points and nothing all it says is "Restoration was Unsuccessful.... No changes have been made to your computer". When I try to install the drivers the computer just doesn't respond, I specify where the driver is at, and it just freezes. It freezes when this comes up
    "Please wait while Windows searches for an updated driver for this devise" Even though I specified at a floppy disk or a file it just freezes at the Windows driver folder. I don't know what to do? Thanks JJE-ME

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi JJE-ME,
    That is my fault. I know ME has no DOS. Sometimes I talk before I think. I assume you went to System Restore and tried a restore point?

5. JJE-ME

JJE-ME Thread Starter

Hello TW56,
    Well I tried every restore point that there was. Still nothing I still can't install the drivers. What else should I do?

JJE-ME

6. esdxc37

esdxc37

take your dvd player out and restart windows
    shutdown and replace your dvd
    restart and windows should install drivers from it's database

7. JJE-ME

JJE-ME Thread Starter

Thanks for replying,

Do I disconnect all the cables going to the DVD or just the power?
    I don't want to do it wrong.

JJE-ME

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice