1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install IE6 Service Pack1

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Kepiano, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

After an hour and 59 minutes of downloading.........I can't complete the installation. My OS is Win98. I have deleted all my temp files and internet temp files. I did a search for wininit.ini......don't have one. I have closed all running applications (except for systray and Explorer). I have rebooted numerous times. This is what I get:
    Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all applications and try running setup again. (Did this numerous times.)
    I click on Help and get this:
    It appears you have the correct setup files, but the installation failed. Try closing down all other programs and try running Setup again. If that still does not work, contact MS Product Support Services for additional help.
    I went to Microsoft and looked around, but didn't find anything to help........I need some.
    Thanks

2. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

Well, no miracle happened overnight. I will go to Microsoft and pose the problem to them. If I get it resolved, I will post back and let you all know what a dummy I am.
    Thanks.

3. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

:) I know this one!!!!

See MS Tech Note Q189679 and follow the instructions in #5. You will be renaming the following files in C:\Windows\System to *.OLD

ADVPACK.DLL
    INSENG.DLL
    JOBEXEC.DLL
    URLMON.DLL
    WININET.DLL
    WINTRUST.DLL
    URL.DLL

Do not be concerned if the file does not exist or you cannot rename it.

4. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I was unable to get online support for this at microsoft and I didn't notice that Q in my search. I will go there now and will let you know what happens.

5. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

It didn't help to rename those files to .old. The next section in the Q is editing the registry. This is for IE5 and I have IE6. I don't know if they are the same or not. I looked in the setup log for the service pack and there are 10 .cab failures. According to the article, it means these files are corrupt and I should delete them. If I do this, how do I get them back? (dumb question I know)
    Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/95207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice