1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install latest version of Flash Player

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tweety317, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tweety317

Tweety317 Thread Starter

Help! This started about 2 months ago when I was in Explorer and it said I did not have the latest version of Flash Player, I clicked on the link which took me to the Adobe website, but every time I get the Failed to install error tn_19166. I did all the troubleshooting steps including running SubInACL, and reset_minimal.zip. I opened a case at Adobe and have been communicating with them almost daily and have done everything including uninstalling Flash and have done the SubInACL several times using different methods, still the same error message. I did download Firefox and it works fine there but I have an educational software program that has to run in Explorer and I need to have Flash installed there. Any help???

2. golferbob

golferbob

3. Tweety317

Tweety317 Thread Starter

What is this? It is safe?

4. golferbob

golferbob

5. golferbob

golferbob

6. Tweety317

Tweety317 Thread Starter

No I tried Hippo, thanks, but I got the same error message "Failed To Install tn_19166". Any other suggestions?

7. golferbob

golferbob

8. TOGG

TOGG

If you've worked through the Adobe Windows installation troubleshooter, it's difficult to think of what else to suggest.

Presumably you used the Active X version linked from Adobe's website and stayed online for the install to complete?; http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Did you Google the error message? I found a thread at Adobe forums that includes a 'solution' that seems to have worked for some people; http://forums.adobe.com/thread/255915

9. Tweety317

Tweety317 Thread Starter

Yes, that was the link I used to try to install, many times! And yes, I've found many other forums describing similiar problems and it seems like this is a needle in a haystack! What works for some doesn't work for others, I've tried many of the suggestions with no results. One suggestion was running a program called errorsmart to fix registry problems, but when I google it it sounds like a scam. Is there a ligit program to run to fix registry problems out there? Like from Windows? I think that's where my problem lies but not sure. Why would I be able to download in Firefox and not Explorer?

10. TOGG

TOGG

The workings (or failures to work) of Internet Explorer are a mystery to me, which is why I don't use it.

I'm no expert but I would have thought that your Registry would have as much, or as little, effect on the workings of Firefox as it does on IE. Fiddling with the Registry could cause more problems than it would solve so, if I were in your shoes, I would leave it well alone.

If I understand you correctly, the Flash plugin in Firefox works and it is, essentially, the same as the IE one, except for the major difference that it doesn't use the dreaded Active X. In the advice you were given, was it ever suggested that you try the standalone Active X version of Flash?; http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html If not, it might be worth a try.

PS. With each attempt at installing the IE plugin did you run the Adobe uninstaller and reboot?

11. Tweety317

Tweety317 Thread Starter

I agree with you about the registry, I don't want to mess with it plus if Windows is letting me install in Firefox I wouldn't think that's the problem. Yes, I did try to install the stand alone per your link and again got the same error message. If it weren't for the fact that I have a program then needs to run in IE, I would never use it! As far as rebooting each time, I'm not sure what you mean.

12. golferbob

golferbob

reboot ,restart

13. Tweety317

Tweety317 Thread Starter

I understand what reboot means! I meant I didn't understand what he said about rebooting. I get the error message after I tried the install, I wasn't sure when he was saying I needed to reboot.

14. TOGG

TOGG

The instructions with the Adobe uninstaller suggest that IE users may need to reboot after running the uninstaller and before attempting to install a new copy of the plugin (and that's probably a good idea for non IE users as well). Just to be sure we're 'on the same page', this is the uninstaller I'm talking about; http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=1 and I assume it's the one mentioned in the Adobe Troubleshooter? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the uninstaller could need to be run twice but I can't be certain and it could have been an entirerly different piece of software!

I assume that every time you try, and fail, to install the plugin, you would need to use the uninstaller again to remove any parts that may actually have made it onto your hard drive, but maybe that's incorrect. Whatever, each time it's run, the uninstaller should have removed the Firefox plugin as well, did that happen? Use Firefox to go to the version test page and see what the result is; http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507&sliceId=2

If what you have to do involves fooling a website into thinking you are using IE, you could, I suppose, try the IETab addon or extension for Firefox. I am able to collect Windows Updates with it, despite the fact that MS sites are set to only work with IE.

15. Tweety317

Tweety317 Thread Starter

The uninstaller I've tried is uninstall_flash_player.exe from Adobe, I also found the Flash file in WINDOWS\system32\Macromed and deleted the file before doing the install and you're right, every time I've done the uninstall it never effected Flash Player in Firefox. They just had me do the SubInAcl thing again with no results. I'm on my 3rd tech person at Adobe! Someone suggested doing a total system restore, kind of clean everything out and start over. Do you suggest this as part of regular maintanence? Sound a little extreme!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice