1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant install MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by devarmagan, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. devarmagan

devarmagan Thread Starter

i cant install the msn messenger its giving a error "could not display "/home/user_name/Desktop/Install_Messenger.exe" how to solve this problem

2. vtel57

vtel57

I believe that MSN Messenger is a Windows application. You can't install and run Windows applications in Linux unless you use an emulator program of some sort. My recommendation would be for you to install (if it isn't already on your system) GAIM. GAIM is an Open Source messenger app that can login to and function with AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, and MSN.

Have FUN!

3. steven1350

steven1350

try aMSN. Its very similar to the windows msn version

4. sportscrazy

sportscrazy

You can't install any windows applications, unless they're specifically made for Linux as well. Most of the time there are similar apps. that are available for all the linux distro's. Here's the link to aMSN:

http://amsn-project.net/index.php

5. Gibbs

Gibbs

You can run Windows applications on Linux with emulators or server software. Of course this doesn't mean all application will work 100%, for example Windows DirectX game are a big problem.

Wine is a small, free and decent binary emulator that is 100% legal. If you want to see if it runs something "<application name> appdb wine" is a good search string for google. I doubt that most Microsoft products work though. VMWare is another option but in my opinion is a last resort as it requires you to install Windows inside your distro.

Theres usually ALWAYS linux alternatives. Like mentioned above aMSN is an awesome program, give it a shot :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice