Can't Install New External Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joshjpang

Hey guys, thanks for your help! :)

I want to upgrade my laptop hard drive to a bigger and faster one. I bought a Hitachi 7200rpm 100gb HD to replace the 80gb 5400rpm drive in my Dell Inspiron 9200. But I want to copy everything on my current HD onto the new Hitachi HD using a program like Drive2Drive. However, my computer won't detect the new hard drive in its enclosure...

1. I bought a 2.5" laptop drive enclosure with USB 2.0 support
2. After I assembled it and pluged in, Windows does the "Found New Hardware" process.
3. But afterwards, I cannot find a new drive... i.e. (F:) in My Computer.

I can feel the new HD spinning inside the enclosure, but I don't know what to do! I'm lost... could you guys help? Thanks!! :)

joshjpang

Yes, I cannot find the new Hitachi 100gb hard drive. I am using Windwos XP SP2.

How do I partition and format? (this may be a stupid question) I can't find the drive...

Thanks!

Right click on My Computer - Manage - Disk Management, and see if it is there, if it is right click on the drive and partition, then format...

Assuming XP. Rightclick on my computer, click on manage. Click on Disk management and all your drives will show up. Find the right one , right click and format. Put check mark in the box for quick format.

SacsTC said:
Assuming XP. Rightclick on my computer, click on manage. Click on Disk management and all your drives will show up. Find the right one , right click and format. Put check mark in the box for quick format.

:D :D :D :D :D

Beat ya too it :p ...

Yeah, but I had to put in an extra line to make it easier on him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p :p :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online