Can't Install Office 2000 on XP Pro SP2... HELP!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fieroturbo

Hi, just as the topic says.....

What happens is the CD-rom just sorta stops while installing, then reads a bit, stops for a minute, reads a bit, stops for a minute, etc., but then it will say a random file that it can't find.

It does this for ALL discs, not just disk 1 or 2, but all 4.

Not only that, but stuff locks up when I try to abort... have to manually reboot.

Any ideas?

To determine if the problem is with your CD or CD ROM, can you copy the source files to a directory on your hard drive first. Then install from that directory.

But if all 4 CD's are failing, you might simply have a bad CD ROM drive . This is given that it is more unlikely that all 4 CDs would be defective.

fieroturbo

This is definitely software related.

I have two CD-rom drives, and today I got disc 1 and 3 to load (I can do without 4 BTW).

Disc two is still doing the locking up that all discs were doing.

Any ideas?

So you were successfully able to copy the 4 CDs to your hard drive and the software install locked up on disk #2?

fieroturbo

No, I wasn't. I was able to install 1 and 3 from the CD.

I can't load 2 onto the hard drive. Similar issue happens with both installing it, and with copying it.

fieroturbo,

If you can't copy the contents of the 2nd CD to your hard drive, then typcally either the CD ROM or CD itself are defective. This is especially likely since the other CD's worked fine.

The other wildcard in this is the RAM.

Nothing stresses the RAM like loading software. It uses all of the RAM, unlike many applications.

Faulty RAM causes that type of error, where random files can't be found

Download and run Memtest86 from www.memtest86.com

Possible but from an earlier post, it sounds like he can't even copy the files from the CD to the hard drive. Typically this doesn't stress memory nearly as much as doing the install itself.

Also, he was able to successfully copy and install the other CDs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online