1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Install Office XP Pro Service Packs!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adf, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adf

adf Thread Starter

TSG: HELP!!!

I'm running:
    - OEM Windows XP Home Edition, Svc Pk 1 (all critical updates included)
    - AMD Athlon P2100+ processor (1.73 GHz)
    - NForce K7N2G version 1.2 ATX motherboard
    - MSI CR52-A2 52x24x52 CD-RW (ATAPI) with Nero-Burning bundled
    - MSI 16x DVD-Rom (ATAPI)
    - Norton Anitvirus 2003
    - Zone Alarm Software Firewall
    - Two 40 Gig Hard Drives
    - 56K Modem

I'm tying to install Svc Pk3 For Office XP Pro (version 10.0).
    I get this message box at the install point:

" THE FEATURE YOU ARE TRYING TO USE IS ON A NETWORK RESOURCE THAT IS UNAVAILABLE.
    CLICK "OK" TO TRY AGAIN, OR ENTER AN ALTERNATE PATH TO THE FOLDER CONTAINING THE INSTALLATION PACKAGE "PUB.MSI" IN THE BOX BELOW."

The problem is I can't find the "pub.msi" installation file anywhere on my computer!
    I read somewhere that it might be a file-association problem involving the "open with" files to Publisher 2002.

Question 1: How do I fix the file-association problem if that , indeed, is the issue?

Question 2: If that doesn't work, or isn't the issue, how can I acquire or create the installation file package that is needed?

Question 3: Will I need to acquire installation files for the other Office XP Pro applications (e.g., Front Page, Word)?

I have moderate PC skills, so a step-by-step solution would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your professional assistance!

adf

2. angel

angel

Fromwhere was the original Office install done? Network? or did you originally install Office via cds?

3. adf

adf Thread Starter

I installed Office XP PRo from a CD. The Microsoft Svc Pack Download site instructed me to have my CDs ready, but I'm not prompted to load the CDs yet (I guess it occurs during an install phase that I'm unable to reach). Thanx

adf

4. michael863

michael863

any problems i've had downloading service packs come from the fact that the computer has an illegal copy of xp

5. adf

adf Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

My XP OS is legit, but my friend loaned my Office XP. Does that mean only he can download the updates?

I suspect the answer is yes.

adf

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. sanyo

sanyo

Had same problem. Eventually downloaded the service pack and had nothing but problems ever since. So I had to install xp pro over again to correct it. My advice is Dont bother...

8. michael863

michael863

yeah, i said screw it too (the service packs) and i haven't had any problems without them.

9. adf

adf Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

I will follow your advice and just "chill" . "A bird in the hand" now makes a lot of sense to me.

Thanks again to all you cool geeks for taking the time to help out a computer dork!!!

adf

10. jydiver

jydiver

Hi adf,

Pub.msi is on the install disk for publisher, you need to have the cd in the drive when you install the service packs, they never actually tell you to insert them. Hope this helps

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice