1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install plug-in softwares on external hard drive??!!

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by ismaelsaucedo, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismaelsaucedo

ismaelsaucedo Thread Starter

Hi. I own a 2017 MacBook Air running on Mac OS High Sierra V 10.13.14. I primarily used my laptop for school and such but now I'm looking into using it mainly for music production, which as you may or may not know can require a lot of storage when looking to download third party plug ins and software. I recently acquired a 1 TB Lacie rugged external hard drive to download and install all my third party plugins which contained a huge deal of content. Now here came the issue, I first attempted to download a plugin which contained a good amount of storage, and every I would attempt to install it on my hard drive, sometimes the option to "change destination" would not show up, or the step that says "Destination Select" would simply be skipped! after a few times of just trying it again, the option to pick a destination would pop up, and i can see my external hard drive and have the option to hover my cursor over it and click it, only to be alerted this same message " [name of software] cannot be installed on this disk. you can only install this software on the disk that is running Mac OS X. I was greatly confused as to why this was happening. I figured this had to be something to do with my settings, and after a while i found out i can run Mac OS ON my Lacie hard drive. so therefore i thought, well if I install OS on my hard drive then maybe It will finally let me install my different plug ins. I was right. The installations worked well. However the major drawback of this is that i have to always run my Mac OS software ON my external hardrrive everytime I wish to use those plug in's for my music production. So as of now I just restart my macbook on the lacie as my start up disk in order to open up Logic Pro X (my music workstation) and to use the plugins i downloaded on that drive. My question is if this whole process is truly necessary (which i assume it isn't) and if it was just something to do with my laptop / hard drive settings? And obviously, how do I go about fixing this issue where i can just simply install my software onto my external hard drive without having to run Mac OS on my hard drive. thanks to anyone who replies !! i have a photo of the error message attached. ( PS its not from my actual laptop it's just an image i found on google but the message is the exact same as the one i received.)

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice