1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Install Print/Scan/Copy Software

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BigJoe, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJoe

BigJoe Thread Starter

I've had a Compaq Presario about 2-1/2 years. Windows XP Home Edition, 60 GB HD, 512 MB memory. Was formerly using a cheap parallel cable printer. It started eating the paper. Bought a Lexmark X1185 All-In-One Print/Scan/Copy Printer with USB connections. Have been unable to install the CD-rom installation software. After I click on INSTALL, a window opens and I get the following message:
    NTVDM KERNEL: Missing 16 bit system module
    Please Re-Install the following module to your system32 directory
    SYSTEM.DRV
    Need Help bad. I consider myself a beginner even though I've owned a computer for about 5 years.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It indicates that your Windows installation may be corrupt, but it can also be due to a virus.

Have you scanned with an up-to-date virus checker?

Try a system file check first.

Start - Run - type "SFC /scannow" in the Run dialogue box and hit Enter.

Do not type the quotes, and make sure there is a space between "SFC" and "/scannow"

Case is unimportant. If you get it right a dialogue box will appear and show the progress. Takes a few minutes. That should replace any damaged system files from the cache file.

3. BigJoe

BigJoe Thread Starter

Yes, I have scanned with McAfee. I tried running the sfc /scannow. It starts out saying "please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are complete and intact." Then the window disappears after about 30 seconds.
    Compaq sent me the CDs required to re-install XP but warned me that I would loose all of the information on my computer. Is there any other way around this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice