1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install printer software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlinATL, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlinATL

AlinATL Thread Starter

So, I have become that dude that has to ask for help getting his printer set up. Ugh.

OK. So I have a Windows 10 laptop and an HP Laserjet P1102w printer. A few months ago I set up the printer with no problems at all that I remember. But last week I had to restore Windows. That went off without a hitch. Well now I need to set up this printer with this computer again. So I download the software from HPs website. Double click it. The extractor opens up, the bar goes to 100%, then disappears, and then nothing happens.

I've also tried adding the printer through printers and scanners. Add device, the printer comes up, I add it, test page prints out OK. But when I try to print out anything else out I get a message saying something along the lines of "The printer has a problem that requires your intervention." When I look at the printer in Printers and scanners it says "attention required" Tried the troubleshooter. It was no help. I've also googled it, tried some solutions given to folks who had similar problems to mine, but I haven't seen where anyone said they couldn't install the printer software.

This is frustrating and a tad embarrassing. I'm usually the guy who googles other people's computer problems.

any help would be appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. AlinATL

AlinATL Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes. I've tried all that. The problem is when I get to the last step. I download the software for the printer but it doesn't install.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    And you've done this?
    https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879
    is where the above link takes you.

5. AlinATL

AlinATL Thread Starter

I did. I can add the printer. I can usually even print a test page. But when I try to print anything else I get a popup saying "Your printer needs attention Your printer needs user intervention" If I look at it under printers and scanners it says "attention required."

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  7. AlinATL

AlinATL Thread Starter

OK. So the first link wasn't really helpful. There aren't any blinking lights on the printer and the rest of the solutions were to run the install software for the printer, which I can't do.

With the second one I downloaded the print and scan doctor and ran it. Apparently my printer isn't being found on the network.

The solution to THAT, though, is to download and run the install software. Which is what I can't do.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice