1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Install Restore Plus! Disk On An HP/Compaq Machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Doogler, May 24, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Doogler

Doogler Thread Starter

Hi Folks,
    I'm new here so please excuse any mistakes. I recently was working for an attorney and he has two small form factor HP/Compaq computers running XP Pro. On one of them, I was getting an imminent failure of the hard drive message. So using HP Backup and Recovery, I made a set of 4 cd's and 1 dvd, which was the Restore Plus! disk. The hard drive cratered, and I went to Fry's and bought a $98.00 HP small form factor computer with 4 gigs of ram , a big hard drive, and a cd-dvd-r drive. I reset the BIOS to Legacy and reloaded Win XP Pro. But I could not load the Restore Plus! disk because apparently the Win files were corrupt and did not install a swsetup.exe file on the disk. So I reloaded another Win XP Pro OS and my files are no longer corrupt but I still can't get the Restore Plus! disk to give me its contents! Anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Doogler

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    The restore discs are system specific. Meaning that you can't take restore discs from one machine and install on another model.

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

You could get another hard drive for the original machine and install Win XP Pro and the Restore plus should work then. You could then copy the needed files to an external hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice