1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install service pack1 on XP pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by peque, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peque

peque Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to install service pack1 on XP pro, and I'm getting the following error: Service Pack Setup Error: The file c:\windows\system32\dllcache\dfrgntfs\.exe is open or in use by another application.

Close all other applications and click retry.

I don't have any other applications running, I disabled Norton Internet security, and I looked on windows task manager on processes but I don't see it any where, I also opened MSCONFIG and looked on start up, nothing there either... Can you help me please I need to download SP1

Thank you,

peque

2. dai

dai

3. peque

peque Thread Starter

Hi Dai,

Thanks for your reply, good info, but it doesn't really tell me any thing about the error..

Any other advise?

Thx

4. dai

dai

does norton defrag run on auto in the background.that seems to be what it is refering to

5. Lance1

Lance1

Download the full service pack; XP SP1a. Boot into safe mode and install it.

6. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

Actually it's not refering to Norton's version, of defrag which is speeddisk, The process for that is actually nopdb.exe, Dfrgntfs.exe is either windows default defragger or a defragger that took over as the default defragger, such as 0&0 Defrag or Executive Software Diskeeper. If you see the nopdb.exe then close it and try it. Also you can create a slipstreamed disk if you have XP and the full download refered to above and choose upgrade install. For more info on that

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice