1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install software in windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rox3, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rox3

Rox3 Thread Starter

Just got a new Dell computer with windows 7 installed. My husband and I are set up as administrators. Tried to install a Hallmark 2010 windows 7 compatible program and it tells me in a box that I have no administrative rights which I do. It doesn't give me an option to type in a password to bypass it like I've read in some research I've done. When I x-out that box I get another box that says "Fatal error during installation". Of course, I can't delete the program to try to start all over because once again, I don't have administrative rights so it says. I've tried to adjust the UAC by allowing the setting to let alll through and that doesn't help. I've been at this for weeks, can't find help. Not good with computers. Desperate to get up and running. Someone at Dell told be it sounds like a permissions problem but wants $90.00 to solve problem. I just bought the computer from them, why pay more to run it??? Thanks.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. antech

antech Banned

4. Rox3

Rox3 Thread Starter

I went to the link you gave me and tried to begin the option 3 but there was no Compatibility box. I then tried Option 4 but can't click on "run as administrator". The option is dimmed in print and won't allow me to click it. Windows 7 was previously installed. I'll wait for an answer before I attempt enabling the admin account in win 7.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IMO enabling and using the special hidden Administrator account should be saved for more experienced users and for when corruption has gained a firm grip, and certainly should not be necessary to use a new system.

There should be no need to use compatibility troubleshooting to install a Windows 7 compatible program. Do you have Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

What is the exact message you are getting when trying to install?

Have you successfully installed another program on this computer?

6. Rox3

Rox3 Thread Starter

I have Windows 7 64-bit. The messages I get are..You have no administrative rights, the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation, and when I x that out I get fatal error during installation. The icon is on my desktop though and the program is listed in my control panel list. This is the second program I have installed. The first was a Hallmark 2003 (old) program which installed and I am able to work and create in it as on my old computer but nothing will print and I have no problem printing anything else. thanks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suspect that "has set policies" is key, that somehow a policy got messed up. I don't know much more than that, but somebody else will probably be able to advise.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

9. Rox3

Rox3 Thread Starter

It doesn't work. I pressed Shift and right clicked, got "run as administrator" and when I clcik that I get the box saying I have no administrative rights. When I click on "copy to path" nothing comes up for me. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Is "has set policies" the key?

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you buy this computer brand new? When you open User Accounts, do both accounts say Administrator underneath the account name?

11. Rox3

Rox3 Thread Starter

Yes, i bought it brand new. Both my husband's and my account say Administrator underneath. Thanks.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Can you install other programs on this computer? If so, I'd suspect some type of compatibility problem perhaps with 64-bit Windows 7. If not, from either account, I'd suspect a malware problem.

13. Rox3

Rox3 Thread Starter

Yes, I've installed an old Hallmark card 2003 program and it installed and runs but I cannot print anything created on it.

14. antech

antech Banned

Try running a full scan with SAS and MalwareBytes
    (Links avai. in my sign.)

Follow the below instructions Carefully:
    1. Download HiJackThis from the link in my signature
    2. Run a Scan.
    3. Save a Logfile(On your Desktop)
    4. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.
    (Fixing Anything Might cause Unwanted System Instability,BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)
    5.Copy and Paste all the contents
    6. Paste them in the reply Window

15. antech

antech Banned

And the last resort would be to "Enable the Hidden Administrator Account".
    You said you are a beginner to Windows 7, but what about experience with versions of other Windows?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice