Can't install Ubuntu on my pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Frog-Master19

When I try to install Ubuntu 20.0.4 on my pc It pauses at the Updates & software page (Where you choose what kind of install you want) when I press install it just stays on that page and sort of freezes.

I tried to do a minimal installation just to see if it would work and it did mostly install but by the end it got stuck as it was trying to 'run dpkg'. I rebooted the computer and it allowed my to log in. I tried to update my packages with 'sudo apt update' & 'sudo apt upgrade'but it said i needed to configure dpkg so i input the command it told me and rebooted then logged in again but when i typed in my password it just got stuck, wouldn't start and would just show a purple screen.

I've also tried to install Linux Mint aswell and (even though my drives have been erased) in the top right corner it says 'Computer has zero bytes of storage' and the computer sort of gets stuck trying to install Linux Mint but no matter how long I wait it deosn't install.

I doubt it is the iso's I'm using since I've checked both of them and when I choose the option to check intergrity it always says that there are no errors.

I have no clue what's causing these problems and not sure what to do.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've also tried to install Linux Mint aswell and (even though my drives have been erased) in the top right corner it says 'Computer has zero bytes of storage' and the computer sort of gets stuck trying to install Linux Mint but no matter how long I wait it deosn't install.
That would tend to sugest you are trying to install to the wrong place
With all the other errors, either - with respect you do not have knowledge of these install procedures for Linux
OR
there is something amiss with the computer
What type of system is it that you are trying to install LInux on
What is the motherboard and CPU for instance
How many actual physical drives are there as against partitions on a drive
What capacity is the drive you are trying to install to

On Linux Mint for example
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
read the guide please and verify for me which part you have done

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html
you download the ISO
You make the install media
You boot the computer from the media and it runs a live session in ram
you click on the desktop - icon install linux mint

and then chose your options as per the guide.,

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
Also, check iso's md5sum. Actually this must be the next step to do after downloading any ISO.

Frog-Master19

Hello thank you for replying to my question. I have downloaded the iso for Linux Mint and I did check the checksum which was the same as the one they showed on the website. I flashed the iso to my USB stick with Balena Etcher and booted from the USB I don't think I missed any steps but I'm not completely sure.

I have a 240GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. I was planning on installing Linux Mint on the Solid state drive. When it goes to the install page I tell it to install on the 240GB sda which must be my SSD but I still get the message in the top corner that my computer has only zero bytes of storage and the install just sort of freezes.

Yesterday I tried again but it didn't even get to the install page it just froze when I clicked 'Install multimedia codecs'. When I try it in live mode it seems to work (although it's very slow) My motherboard is Asus Prime H310M-R R2.0.

Did you try to run some linux live CD without installing ? Checking logs then could give some hints.

Frog-Master19

I think Linux Mint automatically boots into live mode. I've looked at Gparted and it says My drives have no partitions and all of it is unallocated. Should I make the partitions before trying to install? Is there anything else I should check in live mode to see help see what the problem is?

Thank you.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think Linux Mint automatically boots into live mode
It does indeed, as I said
You make the install media
You boot the computer from the media and it runs a live session in ram
you click on the desktop - icon install linux mint
and from there you click the install LInux Mint
I suggest you read the guide I sent you it has images with it and you will see
If Linux Mint is the only operating system you want to run on this computer and all data can be lost on the hard drive, choose Erase disk and install Linux Mint.
The safe way is to disconnect the 1TB drive then you know you are installing to the correct 240GB SSD

Last edited:

Frog-Master19

In the guide I've gone up to installing Linux Mint. I connected to the internet and went into firefox to see if the wifi was working and it was.

Then I clicked install Linux Mint but when I get to the page that asks if I want to install multimedia codecs it just freezes and refuses to go to the next page I'm not sure why. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you disconnected the 1TB drive
That is your best step at this stage.
DO NOT CONNECT TO INTERNET when installing to drive.
then retry

It was a bug on some install of Mint

You may find this helpful

I have experienced the same thing. My solution was to disable the third party software option during the install. Just as Zcot already mentioned before.
This seems to be a bug which has been reocurring for quite a while now in Ubuntu. Many people have complained about it. But the solution is simple:
disable the third party software option
and if that doesnt work:
disconnect from the internet during the initial install.
This method has been succesful for users with similar problems.
Reboot after the first clean install WITHOUT third party and/or internet connection.
Afterwards you can still successfully install all the extra updates and the multi media codecs.
from here
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=293372

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you get it installed, without codecs,click on LM button left of taskbar, then click software manager which is the dotted green circle in the white square icon see my screenshot
Screenshot from 2020-08-02 19-08-00.pngthen in the sofftware manager window, type
codecs
and install from there

Frog-Master19

Still doesn't seem to work. I managed to get it installed but it got stuck near the end of the installation where it said 'running dpkg' and just froze. I rebooted and it allowed me to log in to it so i guess it did manage to install but when I tried to upgrade my packages in the terminal it said I needed to configure dpkg so I typed in 'dpkg configure --a' and rebooted but it when I put my password in to log in it froze and would just be a blank screen.

I managed to reinstall Windows 10 and get it back to how it was a week ago (because I made a system image). For now I will just use Windows so I can use my computer but I will probably try to install Linux again some point. I didn't have any trouble restoring Windows so I'm wondering if there is possibly a seting in the BIOS that is messing things up. I think it may also be a hardware problem that might be causing these issues so I will run some diagnostics to make sure all of it is working.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions and give me advice on what to do.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The sudo cmd is wrong
it is
sudo dpkg --configure -a
not
as you say you have typed
'dpkg configure --a'
Also, why are you using a tereminal - the equivalent of a windows admin cmd when Minit is provided with a package manager

I do not know the cause of the freezing problkem is - but part of the porblem I have in trying to assist is that you do not answer or indeed comment on the points I raise. If you could do so please, we may be able to make more progress.
You may find that 18.1 Serena version from here
https://linuxmint.com/release.php?id=28
cinamon 64 bit I presume will work without the error
I have no idea if you tried my suggestion, as I mention above you make no comment on it.
Were you able having logged in to proceed as per my suggestion in post 12 with codecs, before you went to terminal cmd.

IT MAYBE a hardware compatibility with Mint, but it is most unlikely to be a hardware problem as you see it
I think it may also be a hardware problem that might be causing these issues so I will run some diagnostics to make sure all of it is working.
that is going to be found by diagnostics, as if it was Windows would not run well.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online