1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install/uninstall

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BestHedgehog, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BestHedgehog

BestHedgehog Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 6135 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 595439 MB, Free - 122796 MB; D: Total - 14999 MB, Free - 8089 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0R849J
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Started today, I start up my computer and nothing seems abnormal. But I open Skype and try downloading an update and it tells me there might be a problem with the package. Then I open Firefox and it tells me an update failed because it may already be running. Finally I try to uninstall something and I am told there was an error writing information to the disk. I still have over 100GB on my harddrive, so I'm not sure what is going on here.

2. BestHedgehog

Bit of an update here, I tried to save a picture and it said the directory was missing or corrupt. I'm at a loss here guys. Error "0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    First glance.

What browser are you using?

Browsers have specific Download folders, as their default. You may be trying to download to that folder, whuich has, for any reason, been deleted.
    IE, foe example. Click tools - View downloads.
    In the options (bottom left, see what default folder your have, and if it exists.

4. BestHedgehog

I'm using Chrome and I just noticed I copied something from my desktop and tried to paste another and I get this error. Error "0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

5. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Ok. Try this. Click the options (That weird three line thing, top right.)
    Click settings.
    Click "Show Advanced settings ( Right down at the bottom)
    See what you have as your download folder, and edit as you need.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Run a disk check. And/or get the diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice