1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't install vista onto hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by WildFire4, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WildFire4

WildFire4 Thread Starter

hi all,

Took out my old ide 160gb hard drive and swapped it for a WD 500gb (sata).

After posting it'll come to a screen that says hard disk not detected but will immediately start gathering the files for install from vista. After I enter the key for vista, I choose custom install and can see the hard drive and have the options to 'delete, format, new' etc.

No matter what I've tried, I can't go to the next screen. Clueless as to what to do. Do I have to format the hard drive from a different PC before I install an OS onto it?

asus p5q-e
    e8500
    4gb gskill

dvd drive is also sata but both ARE recognized in BIOS so no clue what's goin on.

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Which option do you choose at the last screen? If the drive is new, it will more than likely not be formatted, which you need to do to proceed. Choosing format should set this going and let you proceed :)

3. scriptcoder

scriptcoder

If you go into the CMOS/BIOS is your hard drive detected?

4. WildFire4

WildFire4 Thread Starter

i choose format, but that never let me press the 'next' button

yes

5. Meatstar

Meatstar

On my new build I can see my 4 sata hard drives in the bios, but once I load Vista ultimate x86, type in the product key, then click on custom installation, it hangs up for almost 1 minute. At this point I am able to choose a hard drive, but the format button doesn't work and when I try to install on a specific drive it says "hard drive not suitable fo Windows installation".

I'm not sure if this will fix the problem but... Does anyone know of a bootable utility that can be used to format my hard drives? I don't have access to another computer to format the drives on. Thanks for any help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/764714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice