1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Install Win98SE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajdupont, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

OK here's what I've got.

Gateway Essential 633C
    Micro Star 6312 mobo
    Integrated modem audio & video
    64 meg ram
    20gig hd

My opportunity is I can't install win98. I can do the fdisk and format routine with no problem. But when I run setup on E drive Windows starts its thing and at some point during the install I get a message saying:
    "A device file that is specified in the SYSTEM.INI file is damaged. It may be needed to run windows."
    Then it proceeds to give me a list of files like VCDFSD--VXDLDR---
    VDEF---VPMAD after which it says "press any key to continue" on each one. Then it say "It is now safe to turn your computer off."
    I've tried swapping memory with another stick and no help. I've also tried 2 different cdrom drives and 2 different win98 cd's. Same problem. The only other thing I can think of is MOBO. How can I tell if MOBO is bad?
    The Gateway support site has a MOBO driver, but I didn't think you had to install it until after windows was loaded.

Any ideas are appreciated.:)

ajdupont

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

In CMOS setup, turn off external cache and try again. Also, remove and/or disconnect all non-essential peripheral cards or devices.

3. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Alex. Went into cmos and there is no option to turn off external cache.:confused: The only things plugged in are the keyboard and mouse, both with USB connections.
    I don't know.:confused:
    I was just able to install 98 with another cd and all went well. I didn't post this earlier but I have gotten as far as installing all the video-sound -and other drivers. But then I would get the BSOD on start up.
    I think I'll try loading 1 driver at a time and rebooting several times before I install another one. What do ya think?
    Thanks again

ajdupont

4. Chum

Chum

After you get it running, consider adding more memory...64 is pretty low for Win98.

5. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Chum.:) I really hadn't thought of that. Could well be the problem. Will try and let you know.

ajdupont

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I have a suggestion that will save you a lot of time. Instead of reinstalling when it finally goes kaput, make a backup copy of the Windows folder at each stage of driver installation. It is a solution I call WinBack and I have used it since Woindows 3.11 to bail me out of major Windows disasters in less than five minites.

Send me an e-mail with 9x0006 as the subject. My autoresponder will reply with complete instructions on how to use WinBack.

7. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

Thanks again Alex. Right now I've only loaded 2 drivers, both for the mobo and everything seems ok. I'll make a backup now of the windows folder. I also sent the email. Will keep you posted.

ajdupont

8. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

Alex, this is a great idea. First I ever heard of it. But it definately works. Just followed your directions and I think I have it narrowed down to the video driver I was using. Which happened to be the wrong one. All I have left is to get the sound working. It really did save me a ton of time.:) :D
    Thanks again:)

ajdupont

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice