1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install Windows 7 onto new hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kam87, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kam87

kam87 Thread Starter

Hi

I recently reset my Packard Bell tower to factory settings however during the reset my computer crashed leaving me with no operating system.

I installed my recovery disks and after a few failed attempts due to crashing Windows finally installed, however after a few day of use the computer failed completely and would not let me use any recovery options. It would only give me the option to repair which crashed at the same point every time or to start windows normally, this would cause the computer to blue screen then it would restart and say "could not find boot drive or drive is damaged".

Anyway I could only load the boot disk when my hard drive was disconnected, so I decided to buy a replacement, straight away the recovery disk loaded and installation was going well, once the computer had loaded all necessary files it started to install them, it got to 10% before the PC crashed and now I can't use my recovery disk's, it starts up and lets me select my language then instead of giving me the recovery options it displays this message:

"Please complete operating system set up process before doing system restore"

No matter how many times I try to re-install windows with recovery media it keeps going back to this message, I am at a loss how to get past this.

Apologies for the lengthy post but felt i should explain from the start the problems I have encountered.

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Do you have any option to get into command prompt with the restore disk? One thing you can try when you get to the Windows install screen press shift + F10 keys which should take you to command prompt then enter the following commands and press Enter after each one. Warning this option will remove everything from your computer so if you need any files that are not backed up then Stop and I can help you with that first. If not then proceed as follows. After running all these commands then turn off computer and try reinstalling using the Restore disc. Let me know if any questions.

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # (Change # to the correct drive usually 0) If any questions then provide a screen shot for more help after enter this command.
    clean
    list disk (You'll see an asterisk next to the disk selected)
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format FS=NTFS label=Data quick (You can change Data to whatever name you want)
    exit

3. kam87

kam87 Thread Starter

Thank you for your response

I am working tomorrow so I will try this when I get back and let you know how I got on.

4. kam87

kam87 Thread Starter

Apologies for the late response not had much free time the last few days.

I tried your suggestion several times unfortunately it will not allow me to access command prompt, it starts to load the disk then crashes frequently. I did get a few screens appear that I don't normally see, I will post these so you can see what they are.

This is obviously when the computer has crashed

20180824_182031aa.jpg

And this on appeared during the disk loading just before it would bring up any recovery options, although this screen has only appeared twice.

20180827_181405_HDR(1)aa.jpg

I just can't seem to find any way to access recovery options, it just keeps going round in circles.

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Are you no longer able to get into Command Prompt?

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Do you have access to another computer to download files and create media?

7. kam87

kam87 Thread Starter

Basically yes, if I select run windows with command prompt it crashes, if I try it with recovery option it crashes before recovery options are loaded. Not sure what other options are available for me to use, when the computer crashed during the installation of windows surely I should have been able to just restart the installation process again?

8. kam87

kam87 Thread Starter

I have another computer available

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay and are you trying to access Safe mode from the Repair Disk or just by hitting F8 while restarting?

10. kam87

kam87 Thread Starter

From the repair disk, otherwise I use F12 if the disk won't boot automatically.

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay and the Repair disk will not boot into the Windows install screen if you choose F12 and select the Repair disk to boot? To confirm you do not need any files on this computer?

12. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  13. kam87

kam87 Thread Starter

I can partially get access to the windows install screen, It will Say windows is loading files, then the starting windows will appear with the coloured windows logo. usually it will allow ,me to select my language the it will come up with the message to finish setting windows up before using recovery options.

Now I cant even get to this point as the language selection box will briefly appear then the computer crashes.

14. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    To confirm you do not need any files on this computer?

Please follow steps above in Post 12

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice