1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant install Windows 98!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kruppa, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kruppa

Kruppa Thread Starter

Hi, I really need some help because I've been searching the net for days and cant find anything usefull to help me.
    I bought a Western Digital hard drive 60 GB. I partioned, formatted and started the installation with my Windows 98 cd. After checking my partitions and saying there are no errors it takes me to a black screen saying the usual, checking the registry and copying installation files.

But in the process of copying the installation files it just stops and gives me back a command prompt. It stops there and doesn't install. Why?

All the obvious stuff was checked. The virus protection in the BIOS for example is disabled, the drive is plugged properly. ect...

The problem is so weird. I search on the web and it's like I'm the first person this ever happened to. I cant find any information about it.

I also tried copying my Win98 folder to a directory I created on my c drive also called Win98. It does the same thing except it gives me a C: prompt instead of the G: prompt (partitions)

Wether I install from the hard drive, from my start up disk or booting from the cd it does the same thing, it simply stops when it says it's copying installation files and gives back the command prompt.

Any ideas?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- May sound like really basic stuff, but- have you tried cleaning the CD- a scratched one or only a little smudge may stop an install.
    If that does not do it- did you reboot and then format EACH partition you made?

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there Kruppa...

Another thing you might want to is to reseat the memory...

When you install most any of the Windows operating systems ( I think that Windows 3.x was the exception ), it sets up a virtual RAM drive, and copies start up and install files to that drive, for faster execution...

4. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

5. Kruppa

Kruppa Thread Starter

Hi Jedi_Master. I thought of trying that a little while ago. I was so desperate I was willing to try singing to my computer to get to work. :p

Turns out that was it. I took out both memory sticks and put them back in. It solved the problem. :)

Thanks to everyone for your help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice