1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install Windows onto computer!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tash8, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tash8

Tash8 Thread Starter

Hello

I've already posted this on another forum but not had any reply. Hoping someone here might be able to help. Not sure if this would be the correct place to post, so sorry in advance if it isn't.
    I've been pulling my hair out for a couple of weeks over a stupid computer. I'm almost at the point of having a little cry! :(
    It's a Packard Bell iMedia x2415. A few months back, it kept getting a BSOD after my fella installed something dodgy onto it, but I managed to back everything up and re-install Vista.

Recently, it started on the BSOD again, but this time, the computer would not even get going in safe mode or anything. Not sure if there was some sort of virus?
    I took the hard drive out and plugged it into my laptop and managed to back up all the data. I formatted the hard drive and put it back into the computer but still unable to load anything.
    I have bought a new hard drive and I still have the same problems,

I've tried installing Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, on both hard drives, with no luck. Also unable to install Ubuntu - I just keep getting Kernel errors.
    When installing Vista, it goes to BSOD straight after the 'Loading Windows Files' page. Windows 7 gets stuck after 'loading windows files', right when it says 'starting windows'. Windows 8 gets to the same page and then gets blue screen.
    I used a program to install Windows 8 onto the hard drive and boot from that, but that still doesn't work. Have tried to install from CDs and USB as well. Also checked CDs on another computer with no problems.

I'm not an expert so could really really do with some help please!! Any suggestions (other than throwing the whole computer in the bin) would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks

Tash

2. dai

dai

the initial load goes into ram and it hands over to the hard drive on the first reboot

the problem can occur when it cannot find the hard drive

if the drive is sata,go into the bios and set sata to be seen as ide

3. Tash8

Tash8 Thread Starter

Thank you but I don't have an IDE mode? I have SATA, RAID and AHCI. When I select SATA, I get the following options underneath:

HD Audio - Enabled
    Onboard LAN Function - Enabled
    Onboard LAN Boot ROM - Disabled
    USB Functions - Enabled
    Legacy USB Support - Enabled

Under RAID I get:
    SATA Primary Master Channel - Disabled
    SATA Primary Master Slave Channel - Disabled
    SATA Secondary Master Channel - Disabled
    SATA Secondary Master Slave Channel - Disabled
    HD Audio - Enabled
    USB Functions - Enabled

Under AHCI:
    AHCI Configuration it says AHCI CD/DVD Boot Time Out 35 and underneath has AHCI Port0/1/2/3 all not detected
    Changed the AHCI DID For LINU - Disabled
    HD Audio - Enabled
    USB Functions - Enabled

Not sure if any of this would help me progress?!

Thanks again

4. dai

dai

enable the ports in the bios,they are all showing disabled

5. Tash8

Tash8 Thread Starter

Okay, I've tried that, but I'm getting a blue screen again (on Vista)

STOP: 0x0000007E (oxc00000005, 0x8905cdb8, 0x8720365C, 0x87203358)

Not sure if this helps?

Thanks for your help so far...:)

6. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

EDIT: I read the rest of your first post. If nothing loads without problems then test the RAM with Memtest 86+
    http://www.memtest.org/

7. dai

dai

reset the cmos so it goes to default settings and try the install again

it sounds like it is a bios misconfiguration causing the problems

read your m/b manual and see if you can pick anything up from it

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice