1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install Windows, probably because of wrong SATA setting

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PearlDiver, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PearlDiver

PearlDiver Thread Starter

Hi all,

It's been a while I was unsuccesfully trying to install Windows 7 Home 32b using a USB stick.

Configuration:

HP Compaq dc7800 Small Form Factor
    Intel Core Duo E6550 2.33GHz
    2048 MB DDR2/667MHz
    System BIOS: 786F1 v01.04

Story:

The former copy of Windows7 got corrupted by a virus
    I tried to reinstall it completely (not upgrading), got stuck at "Windows is loading files"
    I installed Ubuntu, used it for a couple of weeks
    I would rather need Windows, tried but failed again
    I ran DBAN wipe on both HDDs

After this, I could get to Win7 installer's partition selecting section, but none of the HDDs are available for installation, it's asking me to check BIOS settings in order to access them.
    Given the following Storage Options in the BIOS:

Removable Media Boot: Enable
    Legacy Diskette Write: Enable
    SATA Emulation: IDE

In this case, highlighting any of the disks at partition select, I get this warning when I click Next:
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

The other SATA option is RAID and if I choose this, the 250GB disk seems to be available for the install, but I get the error message:
    "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more info."
    - sadly, I couldn't find any log viewing possibility in the setup.

I ran a DPS self-test on both HDDs, everything passed.

This is the point where I gave up trying by myself, don't know, the BIOS may be outdated or there is something else I am not aware of, but Google hasn't helped me out yet so I hope some of you guys can help grab the root of this problem.
    :eek:

2. PearlDiver

3. valis

valis Moderator

first thing I'd recommend is unplug whichever HD isn't going to have the OS on it; I've seen that happen with w7 before. Then start it all over again, see if it installs with just the one HD plugged in.

and welcome to the forums. :)

4. PearlDiver

Thank you for the idea and the welcome :)
    I tried what you suggested, with both of the disks separately, but the same thing happened at installation.
    The warning is exacly like before: something with BIOS enabling.

5. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

I installed Ubuntu, used it for a couple of weeks
    did you delete the partition and remove the grub bootloader
    before you tried to install windows??

6. PearlDiver

No, I didn't do either of them but I guess the DBAN wipe covers such things. Tell me if I'm wrong...

7. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1126803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice