1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install windows xp sp2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DaFuZzMaStA, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaFuZzMaStA

DaFuZzMaStA Thread Starter

When I try to do it over windows update it just says "Failed!"
    When I download it and try to install it says:
    "The core system file (kernel) used to start this computer is not a Microsoft Windows file. The Service Pack will not be installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327101 at http://support.microsoft.com"
    I went to the article it didn't help..
    How do I fix this?

2. Sephroth57

Sephroth57

is there a reason youre trying to install SP 2?... you have read the threads telling all the horrible bugs and crashes its been causing right? :rolleyes:

3. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

4. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Do you have a program installed that changes the Windows XP boot up screen. If so, uninstall it, reboot your system and try the SP2 install again. If you don't have a modified bootup screen, then try this, Select Start > Run > and type in "sfc/ scannow" without the quotation marks. Make sure to put a space between the forward slash and "scannow". Have your Windows XP cd handy as it may ask for it.
    After the system file check is complete, restart your system and try the SP2 install again.

John

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice