1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install Windows XP??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnny_k, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnny_k

johnny_k Thread Starter

Hi guys

This is my first post here.

I'm having trouble with installing Windows XP, after copying files, restarting, the GUI will not show, I'm just getting a black screen after the XP loading screen. I tried taking out printers, USB, and other removable devices from the computer, updating the bios, make only one partition (so all the hard drive can be formatted through the install step), but still didn't work.

I can also mention that I got the GUI showing with another CD, which is an edited version of Windows XP (no license agreement in the installing process, drivers added, a different start menu, etc.), but then the mouse and keyboard does not work to click next and put the key and stuff. I noticed if I take the mouse out and put it in again the red light under the mouse turns on but to no use because it still becomes unusable. I have no PS2 ports neither.

Now I have Windows 7 installed as it is the only one along with vista that worked. But I want to skip to xp as 7 and vista work a bit hard on this PC.

Any advices? Thank you

P.S. my PC model is Dell Optiplex GX520 tower.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you got Windows 7 installed and working, then leave it alone. Windows 7 is a great platform with much better security than XP. Also it does not tax the system as much as Vista.

I would not go installing pirated "special editions" of Windows. Hackers that distribute those may have inserted remote control features.

3. johnny_k

johnny_k Thread Starter

I cannot leave it as the processor usage in Task Manager -> Performane is around 100% all the time.

Even though it is dual-core and I have a two set of 1gb ram (2gb ram total) I think the video card is the problem, which is a Radeon x550/x600 (as it appears in Device Manager).

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Dell OptiPlex GX520 desktop.

It's an old desktop and only has device drivers available for Windows 2000 and Windows XP, so you're probably not going to get all of its devices to work with Windows Vista and Windows 7.

It comes with Intel 82945G integrated graphics, Intel 945G chipset, Analog Devices ADI 198x integrated audio, and Broadcom NetXtreme/57xx gigabit ethernet.

It supports a maximum of 4096 MB(4 GB) of RAM and uses DDR2 PC2-3200 or DDR2 PC2-4200 modules.

Does it have an Intel Pentium IV or an Intel Celeron D processor, and what speed is it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice