cant install xp from usb cd-rom drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johno1981

Hi everybody

a relative is having problems with her laptop and gave it to me to reinstall xp. The problem is the laptop won't start at all, it hangs at the windows xp screen loading on startup (the black screen with the xp logo) then it goes to a blue screen then restarts.

It only has a external cd-rom drive which is connected through usb, i put the xp installtion disc in there and reboot the laptop but unlike a normal pc it doesn't say 'press any key to boot from cd'. So i can't install xp!

i pressed f12 at startup to see the boot menu but there is no option for cd-drive. it only says

Internal HDD
Cardbus NIC
Onboard NIC
Diagnostics

I have selected them all but the laptop still doesnt startup to desktop or pics up the windows xp disc in the external cd-rom drive.

Is there any way i can re-install xp? I have tried starting it in safe mode but it won't, and i've tried chosing the 'last settings that worked' but still won't startup.

the laptop is a dell & it had windows xp previously installed. she doesn't know what went wrong..

Please help

Are you sure that the install files are not already factory installed on a hidden HDD partition?

Otherwise go into the BIOS and see if there is a boot from USB option, or try ringing Dell support?

u need to enable "Boot from external device" in your BIOS and set USB CDROM drive to first boot up device

techkid

David
Only recent motherboards and BIOSes (probably within 12-18 months or so) support external boot devices. Depending on how old the system is, it may not support it.

Do you have an option, during startup, for something like a System Recovery utility (not counting Last Known Good Configuration in your boot options)?

johno1981

In the bios , i can't find any option on selecting to boot from the usb cd-rom drive

there is a 'boot order' page,these are in grey color in this order-

CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Diskette Drive
Internal HDD

these are in blue/green color below

Modular Bay HDD
Cardbus NIC
C/Port II or C/Block II NIC
C/Dock or C/Dock II top PCI slot NCI
C/Dock II bottom PCI slot NCI
Onboard NIC

and there is no 'System Recovery utility' only last known good configuration, safe mode, normal etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online