1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant install xp from usb cd-rom drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johno1981, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johno1981

johno1981 Thread Starter

Hi everybody

a relative is having problems with her laptop and gave it to me to reinstall xp. The problem is the laptop won't start at all, it hangs at the windows xp screen loading on startup (the black screen with the xp logo) then it goes to a blue screen then restarts.

It only has a external cd-rom drive which is connected through usb, i put the xp installtion disc in there and reboot the laptop but unlike a normal pc it doesn't say 'press any key to boot from cd'. So i can't install xp!

i pressed f12 at startup to see the boot menu but there is no option for cd-drive. it only says

Internal HDD
    Cardbus NIC
    Onboard NIC
    Diagnostics

I have selected them all but the laptop still doesnt startup to desktop or pics up the windows xp disc in the external cd-rom drive.

Is there any way i can re-install xp? I have tried starting it in safe mode but it won't, and i've tried chosing the 'last settings that worked' but still won't startup.

the laptop is a dell & it had windows xp previously installed. she doesn't know what went wrong..

Please help

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Are you sure that the install files are not already factory installed on a hidden HDD partition?

Otherwise go into the BIOS and see if there is a boot from USB option, or try ringing Dell support?

3. Gigacore

Gigacore

u need to enable "Boot from external device" in your BIOS and set USB CDROM drive to first boot up device

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Only recent motherboards and BIOSes (probably within 12-18 months or so) support external boot devices. Depending on how old the system is, it may not support it.

Do you have an option, during startup, for something like a System Recovery utility (not counting Last Known Good Configuration in your boot options)?

5. johno1981

johno1981 Thread Starter

In the bios , i can't find any option on selecting to boot from the usb cd-rom drive

there is a 'boot order' page,these are in grey color in this order-

CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Diskette Drive
    Internal HDD

these are in blue/green color below

Modular Bay HDD
    Cardbus NIC
    C/Port II or C/Block II NIC
    C/Dock or C/Dock II top PCI slot NCI
    C/Dock II bottom PCI slot NCI
    Onboard NIC

and there is no 'System Recovery utility' only last known good configuration, safe mode, normal etc.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice