Can't install XP in RAID 0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AHGvs

I'm having a problem installing Windows XP in a RAID 0 configuration, and I think it's a problem with one of my two hard drives. After creating the array (with two drives on it) I have a choice of either running my manufacturer's recovery cd or just running windows setup from the CD. If I run my manufacturer's (Alienware) "factory-setting" recovery cd, the computer freezes up while windows is starting, and if I just run windows setup by itself, the computer freezes when there's about 3 minutes left. However, I can install windows safely and everything if I build the array on the second of the two hard drives alone. By doing this, I can have a working computer, but I have half the space I should and no RAID 0 functionality.
What should I do? I've tried a few things already but please suggest whatever you think might work.. I'm beginning to feel like it's a hardware/physical problem with one of the hard drives. What should I try?

Is there a hidden partition installed on the original HDD by Alienware?

I would suspect that you CAN'T use the recovery CD to install XP to a RAID array, and to clarify something you mentioned, you CAN'T "...build the array on the second of the two hard drives alone...". By definition, any RAID configuration REQUIRES at LEAST two harddrives, so no matter what you install on any individual drive, it ISN'T a RAID array if you aren't spanning at least two harddisks with the data.

You mention "...just running windows setup from the CD." WHICH CD are you referring to? Do you have an OEM, retail, or Upgrade version of the WinXP CD in addition to the recovery CD from Alienware?

We need a LOT more details to help you; please answer my questions, and let's see what we can figure out.

AHGvs

I don't know of any hidden partition. Assume my hard drives are both wiped clean, I guess. Perhaps I'm using the wrong term, but I was referring to just "setting up" one of the two hard drives (using the Fast-build array utility) instead of both in order to avoid an inherent error that seems to be specific to the other hard drive. I am aware that this configuration is not RAID. When I said "running windows setup from the CD" I meant the OEM Windows cd that came with my computer, as opposed to the recovery DVD that I also have that reinstalls the OS and other programs that came pre-installed from the company. Thanks for your help, and just let me know if you need any more details or need me to answer any more questions.

crjdriver

Run the hd mfg's utility on both of the hd. This will tell you if one of them has failed or has physical problems.

You can also use the utility to zero fill the drive if you want the hd in the same condition as when they were new; excepting for physical wear of the disks.

crjdriver

One more item. You do understand that you will most likely need to load the driver for your raid controller during setup correct? With your recovery dvd this probably is not necessary. When you use a standard windows install cd it is.

AHGvs

Hey, thanks.. what do you mean by hd mfg? Will this utility avoid/bypass the problem on the damaged drive? And yes, I do install the raid controller from a floppy when I'm doing the windows setup (unless I'm just installing it on the working drive alone, which is the way it's installed right now, temporarily at least)

crjdriver

HD mfg= hard drive manufacturer.
No, it is not going to bypass anything. It will confirm whether or not you have a bad drive. If you want raid, you MUST have at least two functional drives.

In addition if your drive is under warranty, you must have the code generated by the utility to rma the drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online