can't install XP on Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lloydcelzo

hi guys..i was trying to install xp on vista so i could be able to dual-boot on the two OS but everytime I try to install XP (during cd boot) it always say that it was not able to detect any harddrive disks. how come it was not able to detect when i was able to run vista?please help....

panicrooster

Banned
1st does your Vista install still work with this message that usually means no hard drive is recognized? Beyond that, you should go with the recommendations and need to install XP 1st and then Vista because of boot loader issues.

hi guys..i was trying to install xp on vista so i could be able to dual-boot on the two OS but everytime I try to install XP (during cd boot) it always say that it was not able to detect any harddrive disks. how come it was not able to detect when i was able to run vista?please help....
Ensure you can get drivers for XP first. Especially SATA as that sounds like it is your problem now.

Do XP first. Set BIOS HD type to "Auto Detect."

lloydcelzo

thanks for the response...actually this was my problem that is why i resorted to installing vista...my former harddisk (80GB), with XP on it, had virus that attacked the files used during the boot process.so i was not able to boot into that harddisk. so i bought a new one (120 GB). but when i tried installing XP on it, the error message that it cannot detect any harddisks showed up after the process that is asking me to install a new copy of xp or repair an installation. i tried it several times but same results. so i thought of installing vista (32-bit) on it and when i tried it was succesful. i am using vista now but i am not really used to it. i still prefer XP because most of the softwares that i use for my work works best in XP.

i can't set auto detect in the bios hd. i will send you a screenshot of it if i could.

and last thing, is there any available drivers for SATA harddrives for XP? thanks in advance..

some HDD vendors needs a bootup disk for XP, try to check the vendor website, if there is such a disk, download it, make the boot-up disk, actually it contains the driver that enable XP to recognize the HDD during the XP-boot process.

then you try to boot the XP Installation CD, during the process booting with blue screen background, press F6 during the process, you'll be asked to put the disk, after that XP will recognize the HDD, then continue with the installation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online