Can't install XP pro on HP Pavilion dv6040ca

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jayhmin

When I tried to upgrade xp home to xp pro, a strange error msg keeps coming up during installation. - "There is an internal error. please ask system administrator"
HP techie suggested me disabling SATA in BIOS, but there is no such an option under system configuration.
I don't see "Disabling SATA" option in BIOS. There are only two options, Boot sequence and Sound(?).
Is HP dv6040ca upgradeable to XP pro? I've tried removing xp home and reinstalling xp pro from retail CD. As well I tried the latest BIOS and updated AMD driver.
Please help me. Seemed HP tech support doesn't know how to do.

In order to tell you this we would need all of the technical data available for this computer. Please provide enough of the system spec's for us to make an evaluation and recommendation?

jayhmin

Here is the spec. The strange thing is the hd is SATA but i don't see the option "disabling SATA"

Hard Drive -> 120GB 5400RPM (SATA)
C: and D: (Recovery files)
Microprocessor -> 1.8 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56
Microprocessor Cache -> 512KB+512KB L2 Cache
Memory-> 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Video Graphics ->NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200
Video Memory -> up to 256MB of TurboCache™ Video Memory
Multimedia Drive -> LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

I got the same error message saying "Internal error", when reinstalling from CD and selecting upgrade option from cd.

jayhmin

The error message is as follows;
"Setup cannot set the required windows xp configuration information. This indicates an internal setup error. Contact your system administrator"

HP techie told me that I have to disable SATA drive before installing any OS because the hd is SATA(i don't know why). As I said, there is no "disabling SATA" option in BIOS(doesn't this mean it can't be upgraded to xp pro?).

While installing or upgrading, I see the error msg right after the step of "Preparing installation"

Thanks,

I disagree with the HP tech. Find the floppy that came with your computer or motherboard that has the drivers for your SATA hard drive. When you go to install Windows XP there's a short period of time right at the beginning while the setup utility is loading where it prompts you to press F6 (I think) to supply drivers so you press F6 and put the floppy in the floppy drive when it asks you for it. If you don't have those drivers then I'd start looking for them but I'd bet they're somewhere like on any install CD that came with the computer. You might try the manufacturer's website for either the computer or the hard drive.

Joe

techkid

David
It should be able to install Windows XP to a SATA hard drive (most computers these days would most likely come with only SATA drives, with IDE only for CD/DVD drives).

Disabling SATA would only stop the drive from being detected (as far as I know, I haven't yet encountered SATA technologies personally).

One question to ask is, is the CD in good condition? And is your CD drive in good order?

jayhmin

UNISERV and techkid ,
you guys are right. I think I need an external floppy to install xp pro because my laptop doesn't have a floppy. I got the option from the F6 button in PC recovery procedure. What I was mad at HP is they didn't have much information on the new laptop they are selling.
Anyways, what should I do? I don't want to spend extra money for this?

Jae

I don't think I can help you there because you need to have a floppy drive. You can try borrowing one I suppose. If your laptop has a recovery CD at least you should be able to use that to get it to where it was before the upgrade. Some individuals at a different forum suggested slipstreaming the SATA drivers into the XP install CD. You can read the post here --> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/469076.html. I don't know if that works but it looks like you definitely need a floppy. At the end of the post it appears that slipstreaming the drivers worked well.

Joe

This makes no sense at all, I would bet you are trying to boot to cd and all you need to do is put XP cd in in Windows and choose upgrade function...floppy makes no sense and certainly neither does disabling sata, I mean that is your hard drive for goodness sakes!

Rich-M said:
This makes no sense at all, I would bet you are trying to boot to cd and all you need to do is put XP cd in in Windows and choose upgrade function...floppy makes no sense and certainly neither does disabling sata, I mean that is your hard drive for goodness sakes!
The problem is that jayhmin has already tried to upgrade the hard way and the installation is broken so you have to start from scratch, at least that seems like the case.

Joe

jayhmin

Thanks, Rich-M
unfortunately, i've already tried what you described.
Yes, "selecting upgrade option" did work with my old desktoop pc, but not with my laptop.
It must have worked with my boot CD. That's why I contacted HP tech support. They didn't even know what's new in the new machine. I think the only solution is "getting an external floppy". I am not sure if it would work, though. What I got from the F6 option, it should work with it.

I'm still working on it.

Jae

Hi all,
My problem exactly (on a dv6088ea, though)!
Note: The option in BIOS (if it was there) is actually "Disable NATIVE SATA" - this will not disable the controller, but it would make it appear like a normal IDE-ctlr.

Things I've tried so far:
1) Put drivers on USB floppy, install at F6 prompt: Won't work, the drivers you can install is for SATA RAID, the SATA-IDE drivers are not meant to be installed this way.
2) Integrated the SATA drivers on a XP CD, using nLite: Same result.
3) Integrated more drivers like video, AMD fix a few others: Same result.

And, of course, your PC is now screwed and you have to do a restore!

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this simply can't be done: You have to buy HP's upgrade! Of course, that is good for HP but bad for your wallet...

If anyone has a fresh idea, plase step forward!
BRGDS
Sven Sorensen, Copenhagen

jayhmin

svenks said:
You have to buy HP's upgrade! Of course, that is good for HP but bad for your wallet...
Hi, svenks

Do you agree with me that my machine can't be upgraded unless I have another external machine?

jayhmin

Hi jayhmin

I'm not sure what you mean by "another external machine"? If you mean "another PC", I don't know how that would help you. If you mean "an external (non-SATA) disk drive, then I don't think that would help you either - you still have to make the upgrade 'understand' ALL of the hardware in the PC, you're upgrading.

That being said, I've just come across this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=82523

The post that lead me to this, says that the nVidia SATA drivers is not needed! But note that this procedure is for a CLEAN install, and I havent tried it. I might, though, just to see if it works.

BRGDS
SVen

Ok, jayhmin,
I went ahead and did the re-install thing and guess what: It worked!
Lesson learned: It may or it may not have anything to do with the SATA controller, but you just can't upgrade to XP PRO! You HAVE to do a clean OS install and then install all the stuff from SWSETUP. The only thing I haven't got working now is starting of QuickPlay (by touching the button) from within a running windows. When the machine is off, it works fine!
BRGDS
Sven

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.