1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install XP, setup doesn't recognise hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ronpres, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronpres

ronpres Thread Starter

Hello good people of tech support,

Recently, I discovered a real nasty virus on my computer that makes it impossible to run an antivirus or even an online scan it even shuts down the explorer (or firefox) if I type "virus" on google.

Anyhoo, I decided it's time for me to format the computer and reinstall XP (SP2).
    When it gets to the part of the actual setup (after it copies the files and restarts), it says that it can't continue the setup because there's might be a problem with my hard disk and recommends me to check the driver.

I tried to run dskchk /f, but i got a message saying another process is using the drive.

So.. I can't install windows and Im stuck with this evil virus. =)

should I just format C:, and then try to install windows?

PLEASE HELP!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you want to reinstall, run chkdsk /r, or run a repair installation, do it from the CD. Boot from the CD. choose "R" for "repair" and run chkdsk /r after you log in. Chkdsk /r or /f can't run on a drive that is being used, so if you want to run it, answer "Y" to the questions that come up and then reboot. It will run before Windows loads.

Or, if you want to reinstall or repair the current installation, boot from the CD and don't press "R" until the second time it prompts you. Just press Enter for starting the installation.

In the Recovery Console, use chkdsk /p instead of chkdsk /f.

3. ronpres

ronpres Thread Starter

as i said.

when i run chkdsk i get this message: "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another program..."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice