Can't install XP, setup doesn't recognise hard disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ronpres

Hello good people of tech support,

Recently, I discovered a real nasty virus on my computer that makes it impossible to run an antivirus or even an online scan it even shuts down the explorer (or firefox) if I type "virus" on google.

Anyhoo, I decided it's time for me to format the computer and reinstall XP (SP2).
When it gets to the part of the actual setup (after it copies the files and restarts), it says that it can't continue the setup because there's might be a problem with my hard disk and recommends me to check the driver.

I tried to run dskchk /f, but i got a message saying another process is using the drive.

So.. I can't install windows and Im stuck with this evil virus. =)

should I just format C:, and then try to install windows?

PLEASE HELP!

If you want to reinstall, run chkdsk /r, or run a repair installation, do it from the CD. Boot from the CD. choose "R" for "repair" and run chkdsk /r after you log in. Chkdsk /r or /f can't run on a drive that is being used, so if you want to run it, answer "Y" to the questions that come up and then reboot. It will run before Windows loads.

Or, if you want to reinstall or repair the current installation, boot from the CD and don't press "R" until the second time it prompts you. Just press Enter for starting the installation.

In the Recovery Console, use chkdsk /p instead of chkdsk /f.

ronpres

as i said.

when i run chkdsk i get this message: "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another program..."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online