1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't install XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hayride2, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hayride2

hayride2 Thread Starter

I so need help!! I have a 1.8 GHz AMD-Duron, BIOS K7UM3 P1.30, AS Rock Motherboard and 256MB of DDR333. I just replaced the memory (as I thought maybe the memory stick was defective) and a new hard drive. I have disconnected everything but the hard drive and the CD Rom. When I turn the computer on it boots to the Win XP Pro, after it checks the system & says it's "starting windows" installation I get the BsOD with "Page Fault error in non-paged area". Sometimes it says something else but mostly it says that. I can not install XP! I don't know what else to do. Can anyone give me an idea of what may be wrong? Could it be the motherboard or the CPU? It crashed on my and that is why I thought it was memory or harddrive problems. I have been pulling my hair out for a week. Please help!!

2. 00trav

00trav

disconnect all disk drives and boot up to the bios screen, does it run?
    if yes then get a memtest bootable cd and connect a drive and run the test.

then report back.

3. hayride2

hayride2 Thread Starter

It will go thru POST and I can get into set up. How do I get a memtest bootable CD?

4. 00trav

00trav

sorry somehow double posted

5. 00trav

00trav

http://www.memtest.org/ for memtest +
    or
    http://www.memtest86.com/ if you want to buy it, but you can get it for free from other places

i normally just use the one that comes on the ubuntu install cd's since i normally have those laying around.

6. hayride2

hayride2 Thread Starter

I will try that. I was just wondering though, if it tests good (as I think it will) then what? I believe I have everything disconnected that can be disconnected. It has onboard sound, video and LAN, guess I could disable them. The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the CPU or the motherboard. I don't have any way to check them. Any ideas?

7. 00trav

00trav

it could be several hardware issues or it could be software, i would try downloading ubuntu, it has a memtest and you can try running the live cd, use it for awhile and see it there are problems (it will be a little slow, but thats because its running off the cd). if you want to i would install it and play with it, ubuntu is cool anyway. if your machine runs fine then i would rule out any hardware problem. maybe get a new xp install disk. if you have problems with ubuntu, then i would start looking at hardware, it still sounds like memory to me, but it could be the processor. I doubt its the mobo. but without more tests its hard to tell. if you get to the point of buying a new processor or motherboard, my advice would be to either buy a new motherboard, processor, RAM combo, or just get a new machine. unless you can get a process cheap and that you can return without hassle.

http://ubuntu.com

try ubuntu first though.

8. hayride2

hayride2 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help. I am downloading ubuntu now (gonna be awhile!). I will try it. You said something about a software problem but I don't see how that could be since I am trying to install XP to a new harddrive, there is no other software there. I even cleared CMOS. Anyway, I'll try the other OS and see if I can install it. I guess if I can't install that either it will be a hardware issue. If that is the case then I thank you for your efforts and I will junk the system! I'm tired.....

9. 00trav

00trav

there is also a chance that your l2 or l1 cache is messed up, but i have rarely heard of that happening (if ever). if so then its your processor that needs to be replaced.

as far as the software, what i meant was that maybe the xp disc you are using to install with is somehow corrupt or has a corrupt file it is loading. this is easy to test, if your machine works with ubuntu, just grab a new xp disc from someone.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice