1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't intstall Intellimouse Optical USB and PS/2 Compatible mouse :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hajile, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hajile

Hajile Thread Starter

Recently I have tried to install my Intellimouse Optical USB and PS/2 Compatible mouse onto my dell computer(running with XP), replacing the Intellimouse 1.3A PS/2 Compatable mouse that came with the computer. I went into "Help and Support" and found the appropriate article to tell me how to remove mouse.

"IntelliMouse: The Mouse Pointer Moves Erratically or Does Not Respond with Windows XP (Q321122)"

After following the instructions I tried to install my optical and it still refused to work. One thing that I noticed is that some of the files that they told me to delete were'nt there in the first place. Would all the mouse need to be unpluged while i did this? I'm not sure if anyone could shed some light on what i did wrong with the info i'v given but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have it plugged in via USB or the PS/2 connector?

3. Hajile

Hajile Thread Starter

I'v tried both. The computer only reconized that there was a new device when i used the USB port.

4. ~Candy~

So, with it connected via USB.....when windows finds the new device.....does it attempt to load the proper drivers? Does the mouse ever finish installing completely? If so, then what happens?

5. Hajile

Hajile Thread Starter

It doesn't install anything automatically b/c it won't even reconize that its a mouse..just that somethings there in the USB port. I then try to install it with the files off the microsoft website. It dosn't seem to do anything. As i said before I then attempt to delete the previous mouse files in regedit. That doesn't seem to do anything but make my original mouse stop working forcing me to do a system restore.

6. ~Candy~

It's not going to be identified as a mouse per say.....when you connect it to the usb port....will say something like human interface device........

7. Hajile

Hajile Thread Starter

I tried it again. It says "USB device not recognized"

8. ~Candy~

Do you have 2 mice installed right now then?

And just so I'm clear, you plug the new mouse in the usb port, and windows recognizes that 'something' is there.....then all of a sudden it says usb device not recognized?????

9. Hajile

Hajile Thread Starter

yes, the mouse that was came installed on the computer as well as the files for the new mouse is on the computer.

When i plug in the new mouse the first and only thing it says is "USB device not recognized".

10. ~Candy~

Do you have SiS controllers on the motherboard?

Start button, run, then type msconfig and press ok...go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste..... ( I think that should work for XP)

You might just have a look at this link:

http://www.usbman.com/winxpusbguide.htm

11. Hajile

Hajile Thread Starter

Can't seem to find after entering msconfig. Dosn't seem to be any "hardware" button that I can see. Thanks for the link, will look into it now.

12. ~Candy~

Sorry, duh, my bad........start button, run, then type msinfo32 and press ok........then follow from there...........

13. Hajile

Hajile Thread Starter

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Dell Enhanced QuietKey PS2 with DellTouch OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
    IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint) OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 16 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce3 (Dell) OK
    IRQ 16 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) OK
    IRQ 17 Conexant HSF V92 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem OK
    IRQ 18 CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter OK
    IRQ 19 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
    IRQ 23 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK

14. Hajile

Hajile Thread Starter

15. ~Candy~

Nothing looks strange in the IRQs....did you find anything useful in that link? It seems to deal mostly with USB and XP problems....especially, maybe the patch information......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/82328