1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't join domain, but a default XP client can.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pretzelz, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pretzelz

pretzelz Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm hoping this may be a quick fix, and I'd really appreciate your help with it!

At the organisation I work with, we have server 2003. About 12 computers are connected successfully to the domain. I connected them myself, simply by entering the domain name then username and password. (All XP clients)

However, at least half the computers in the organisation say "The Network Path was not found" when attempting to connect, using these same details. They are all on the same network and use WiFi or ethernet. Now I'm trying to understand why these won't connect.

The acid test was that someone brought in a random fresh new XP laptop (not configured for our organisation) and sitting right next to an existing computer, this one connected with the supplied details without a hitch. Both computers were running XP, service pack 3. The fresh new computer was brand new, the other organisation-computer probably at least three years old.

I can ping the domain from both computers without a problem. I have also replicated the proxy settings etc on both machines, to make the unconnecting machine identical with the connecting machine. I have also turned off firewalls on both client computers. Now I'm thinking there must be a component missing or some kind of block somewhere on the unconnecting client. I did try running SFC /SCANNOW which brought up no problem messages, and just disappeared after checking all Windows files were in tact. I cannot however run Netdiag on the unconnecting PC - even after downloading it. It reports: "The procedure entry point DnsGetPrimaryDomainName_UTF8 could not be located in the dynamic link library DNSAPI.dll"

I would greatly appreciate your "Next Step" advice... I'm guessing if an off the shelf new XP laptop can connect, with some simple details inserted, then it can't be a significant issue to solve. Missing or out of date components on the unconnecting client perhaps?

Many thanks oh wize ones!

2. pretzelz

pretzelz Thread Starter

I will send someone $10 if they can solve this! I know it's not much, but want to find out the answer. Our setup is very simple: some XP clients connect to Server 2003 domain fine, this included an outside XP laptop, with DNS and Proxy settings manually copied over from a working client. However some XP clients will not connect to the domain. They get as far as asking for a username and password to access the domain, then wait a while and report "The Network Path was not found". Obviously the path was found, otherwise why would the client try to verify the user details to connect? As far as I can see, all details on the clients are the same, so there is obviously something under the surface that is barring some computers from connecting. Especially annoying due to the fact that an outside XP laptop was brought in and connected with no problems. Your help much appreciated!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice