1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't join Server 2003 domain with XP Pro

Discussion in 'Networking' started by The Living Legen, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Living Legen

The Living Legen Thread Starter

I am trying out virtualisation with Server 2003 and XP Pro running on VM Workstation. I have set up a domain using the Server 2003 wizard but when I try to set up the XP machine to join the domain (called YYZ), I get "A domain controller for the domain YYZ.local could not be contacted."

I am new to networking and would really appreciate some help!

2. The Living Legen

btw I have added the XP client computer and user/password to Active Directory. Windows Firewall on the client machine is disabled.

3. i386

i386

The Living Legen,

This is usually a DNS issue. Make sure your xp computer can ping your DC by name.

i386

4. cams-dad

cams-dad

i386 has got it. 2003 has to have a DNS and WINS to run a domain correctly. Then make sure that the DNS, WINS and gateway are being handed out correctly by your DHCP, otherwise you have to enter it by hand on the client pc. You shouldn't have to add the pc to the AD by hand, it's better to let it happen on the fly so the SID is correct.

5. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Make sure first that the machine has connectivity, you may have not configured the VMware Workstation correctly, also remove the computer object you created and like stated above make sure that you DNS is correct. With out DNS AD cannot function.

6. The Living Legen

I should have said I am incredibly new to networking! I recognise the abbreviations DNS, WINS and DHCP but have virtually no idea how to do what you've mentioned. Where should I start?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/614774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice