1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Join XP Pro to 2003 Server Domain

Discussion in 'Networking' started by swirg53, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swirg53

swirg53 Thread Starter

I have a server running Windows 2003 server. I have an XP Pro box (without Net Beui) that I would like to have join the server domain. I can't get it to do so. Any suggestions?

By the way, in the same cabled network, I have an NT4 server on a totally separate domain. I have Win 98 boxes joined to that domain as well as XP Pro boxes. The only way I could successfully get those to join this NT4 server domain was to add net beui to those boxes.

I have also tried to have a XP Pro box (with net beui installed on it as a protocol) join the 2003 server domain and it refuses also. The error message I get says:

A domain controller for the domain KCP could not be contacted. Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly. If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information.

Details:
    Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name KCP might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain KCP:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.KCP

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

KCP
    . (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

2. mfay50

mfay50

Have you tried this:
    Right click My Computer
    Left click Computer Name tab
    Try both the Network ID and Change buttons?

3. swirg53

swirg53 Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried both of those things. I believe this must be a setting on the server. I have it using Active Directory. I have it serving as a domain controller as well as a file server......do I have a problem with those, perhaps?

Also, I can't believe this would have anything to do with it, but I have a cable modem which I just found out is a router also.....and then I also have a wireless router.

Things like turning off the firewall on the server.....I don't know how to do. Somewehre I read to do that. Also several places talk about DHCP and I don't understand all that stuff either.

I'm hopeless! I was barely an NT4 gal, and now this buffalos me and everyone said how much easier Windows 2003 Server is than NT4.

4. mfay50

mfay50

Can you give me an idea as to the exact configuration of your network? To which device is the server connected in relation to the XP machine? How is the IP address configured on the server - does it grab one from the router or did you assign one? Is the IP assigned on the XP box or does it grab one from one of the network appliances? Can you go to a CMD prompt and ping the server from the XP machine?

5. swirg53

swirg53 Thread Starter

Okay....I have a mess....is what I have! I admit it! AND I am not a Windows 2003 Server Gal at all! I am in the midst of several changes but here is what we have right now.

#1 New Server running 2003 Server Standard Edition. I have set this up with Active Directory and as a File Server. Those were only guesses. We are a retail paint store and the new server will be housing our data from the new Point of Sale software we are installing. I believe this is also serving as a domain controller. At first it wanted to only hook up to the domain of the old server (see #2 below), but finally read something somewhere online that told me how to get it to cooperate with having a new name (Maybe that's when I went into the Active Directory mode).

#2 Old server running NT4 and not nearly the most recent (which as you know isn't recent at all) service pack on it. I cannot get on the Internet with it. Different domain name than the new server. It holds the data for the current Point of Sale software.

#3 Work stations: 4 on Win 98 and 4 on Win XP Pro; 7 of these are currently on the old server domain and one of these (XP Pro) is on no domain yet. I am struggling with that one to get it on the new server domain.

#4 All ten boxes are networked/cabled through a hub or the 4 port router (wireless too) and the router is hooked up to the DSL modem which I just found out Friday is a router also. The new server, and two of the XP Pro boxes are cabled directly into the router. The hub is cabled into the router. The DSL modem is cabled directly into the router. All of the other machines are cabled into the hub. (I do not consistently run anything wireless through the wireless router at this time.)

#5 Where I am headed: On March 1, we are due to go live with the new point of sale software. I can get it to go on a workgroup, I'm relatively sure, but I may sacrifice the speed I can have if I can get it all on the domain.

THE '98 BOXES: I will use one to communicate with the old server, giving us the ability to look at our customer and product history from the old system. (Eventually, I will only use one of the 98 boxes and eliminate the old server.) Another one will be upgraded to Win XP Pro and needs to be on the new domain on the new server. Another one only needs to be able to access the Internet....need not be in the domain at all. And one will be put into storage.

THE 4 XP PRO BOXES: They all need access to the new server through the new domain.

#6 In answer to alot of your other questions: I haven't a clue! One of the two routers gives out static IP addresses to the rest of my network...........tomorrow, my ISP techie is going to disable the router feature in the modem so my only router will be my wireless Belkin router. I do not really have a static IP address coming into either router, but as long as it is never shut down, it does remain the same. So does DNS or DHCP come into play on any of this or not?

#7 Internet firewall..........I read somewhere that I need to take the Internet firewall down on the server, but I don't know how/where to get to that.

I hope this helps you or someone to help me.........time is ticking away to March 1 and I have to be able to get the other computers onto the new network.

6. swirg53

swirg53 Thread Starter

I'll try pinging the server tomorrow.

7. mfay50

mfay50

So the DHCP has been turned off on the DSL box now?
    Have you checked the firewall setting on the XP box network connection? Have you specifically given the domain name to the XP box and bypassed the wizard setup? Is KCP.COM the correct domain name? KCP does sound like a NETBeui name. You also might want to set the IP on the XP box so it uses the server IP address as the gateway and the first DNS, but let it obtain an IP from the router. If this is already leasing an IP, what shows up at the CMD prompt when you type IPCONFIG?
    I don't know if your boss wants to spend the money, or if the point-of-sale people can help, but you might want to hire someone for a couple of hours to sort this out, as you are getting close to the live date. I would assign the new server an IP address in range of the DHCP router, but use a number not given out by the router. If the router's IP is 192.168.1.1 and hands out 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150 to the workstations, you could assign the server 192.168.1.99, then point the stations at that IP for server functions. This way you wouldn't have to worry that the server IP is going to change.
    One other question - Is there anything preventing moving the old POS data to the new server and segregating it from the new system? That way you could set up an icon (very distinctive one), that would point to the old data.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice