1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't load 2k for the 2nd time

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by salbast, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. salbast

salbast Thread Starter

what's up guys? How's everybody? I'm pretty frustrated right now. here's my problem. I had Win 2K installed and i messed up the registry, so i just formated the drive that it was on and reinstalled it. The setup i had is a dual boot wit win98. The first time i loaded Win 2k from windows 98 and i'm trying to do that again, but i'm getting a "this program has performed an illegal operation..." error. Can you guys give me a hand in resolving this pproblem?

Thanks,
    Sal

2. brianF

brianF

It sounds like your installing 2k to a partition other than the c drive, if so, delete the following files and try

Pagefile.sys
    Boot.ini
    Ntldr
    Ntdetect.com
    Ntbootdd.sys(only there if your using scsi)

You may want to put the files on floppy just incase, especially the boot.ini

3. salbast

salbast Thread Starter

I can't restart my computer if i delete these things! Am I right?

4. brianF

brianF

You where dual booting, I am assuming win98 is on the c drive. Those files listed are the files that 2k writes to the boot drive. In general when removing 2k from a dual boot setup those files have to be deleted and sys c has to be run on the win98 drive.
    Save to floppy just in case but microsoft specifies deleting the above files when removing 2k from a dual boot with win98.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!