1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't load more than a few applications

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adam3d, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam3d

adam3d Thread Starter

Hello. I have windows xp pro. I have 1GB of SDRAM on 2.66 Pentium PC computer.

When I open up just a few graphics programs and a few browsers, Windows won't allow me to do anything else. Menus fail to load on right click, I can't open any new browsers or applications, can't copy or paste text etc. I have to shut down a couple browsers or close a graphics program to continue.

I look at Task Manager and I'm running at 10% CPU usage with about 200MB still available in Physical Memory. WHy can't I open up more than just a few applications?

Please help - it's totally slowing me down and getting frustrating.

2. x_theory

x_theory

I've got a few questions for you so that I can narrow down the problem:

1. What programs are you trying to use at the same time?

2. When did the problem begin manifesting itself? Do you recall it happening
    after you installed a certain piece of software?

3. When you try to open the programs that don't respond, does it give you any error messages, or does it just act like it's not doing anything?

4. Was any new hardware added when you noticed the problem running multiple problems?

5. Do you get any error messages?

If you can figure out approximately when the problem started, you may be able to use your System Restore to revert your system back to the point before the problem started. There may be two particular programs that your using that may conflict with eachother.

3. adam3d

adam3d Thread Starter

Hello and thanks for your help. Here are the answers to your questions so you can better help me:

>>1. What programs are you trying to use at the same time?
    Photoshop, Flash, DreamWeaver and about three IE widnows open

>>2. When did the problem begin manifesting itself? Do you recall it happening after you installed a certain piece of software?
    I can't recall if it happened after I installed something. I don't remember it happening when I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro some months ago.

>>3. When you try to open the programs that don't respond, does it give you any error messages, or does it just act like it's not doing anything?
    No error messages ... just no menus come up when I right click, no windows will load etc ... nothing happens until I start closing some applications.

>>4. Was any new hardware added when you noticed the problem running multiple problems?
    No new hardware has been added.

>>5. Do you get any error messages?
    No error messages.

I seem to have lots of RAM left. Is it a page filing thing or swap disk thing? I don't know, but it's odd that I can open up only a few appies with over a gig of RAM.

Hope you or someone can help. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/226441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice