1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't load several devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris52, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris52

chris52 Thread Starter

First off let me say I am no expert (that is why I came to you guys) and I am having some real problems here. My computer froze up when I was trying to load some scanner software that came with my scanner (Scanport SQ4830). I could not get it to start up no matter how many times I rebooted so I tried to uninstall and reinstall windows 98. No luck nothing would work. To make a long story short, I ended up using the fdisk and reformating tools and repartitioned everything and all is fne and well....except now the computer can not find drivers for half the stuff I have on my computer. I made a large mistake by not having the drivers before I cleaned the hard drive and now I have 4 unknow devices and several devices which are not running up to speed because they have the wrong dirvers. I was told by a coworker to find out what motherboard I have and try to download something for it, but I did not understand. Anyone please help I am at the end of my rope.

2. ddraigcoch

ddraigcoch

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi chris

You can go here and down load this advisor to find out what you have in your system. I haven't used it but many members recommend it. Windows 98 does not come with all the drivers you need for your devices. Your motherboard probably came with a CD that has the drivers it needs on it. Any cards like video, sound and modems which are not on the motherboard will require a seperate driver also and should have their own disk. Once you have identified the missing devices check your home for the driver disks or down load the drivers from the web.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Oh and WELCOME TO TSG :)

4. chris52

chris52 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for taking the time to help me out. I am active duty military and unfortunately I had to deploy quite suddenly and have not had time to check out the websites. I will see what the sites have to offer when I get back. Thanks again for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/98217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice