1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't load software on new HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mebuckster, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mebuckster

mebuckster Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 200584 MB, Free - 3272 MB; D: Total - 11203 MB, Free - 5756 MB; F: Total - 112619 MB, Free - 14754 MB; G: Total - 265041 MB, Free - 264762 MB; H: Total - 99 MB, Free - 76 MB; J: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 34326 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2AB7
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014, Disabled

I want to replace my HD, not clone existing. Loaded W7 Home P OK onto new drive, via my DVD drive. Now trying to load software from my legal discs, i.e., M
    soft office, quicken, etc. but keep getting "please insert disc", even thought disc is in the drive. The drive plays videos, just fine - and it loaded W7 just fine. Same things happen with my other very similar PC, but the discs are recognized by my old XP machine. Was advised to delete "upper and lower filters", but found none. Have checked driver and get "driver up to date". Have been scouring internet for info and found this site.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Were the discs created on the "old XP" machine? What type of discs are being used, and in what format were they created? Have the discs been finalized?

3. mebuckster

Thanks for your response. I did not create these discs. They are purchased software (M'soft office, and Intuit Quicken). They were used to install there programs on my "old" hard drive, via the same DVD drive that is in question, now.
    That drive still recognizes the Win 7 disc when I place it in the tray, but it won't recognize that either of the "Office" or Quicken discs are in the tray. But, as I said before, they are recognized by my old XP machine. Very frustrating.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Disc detection is a hardware function of the drive. If a drive won't recognize commercial discs, I'd suspect a faulty drive.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's possible the drive can work with DVDs but not with CDs, does a commercial music CD play ok ?

6. mebuckster

CD-R plays just fine.

7. mebuckster

New info - this afternoon I was having trouble playing stored videos with Windows Media Player, so changed Autoplay to VLC for everything. Just now found out that my DVD drive now recognizes the discs that it previously wouldn't. Now is someone can explain this, I would appreciate it. I am going to change back to Win Media and see if problem comes back.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Depends on if we are talking about discs "auto playing" (ie: insert disc and an application opens to read/play the disc) or the if discs are not being recognized (ie: disc is not recognized by the player and the disc contents are not viewable). Many people seem to think if a disc will not auto play, it's not being recognized. I should have been more specific and clear with my questions.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    VLC contains all the codecs you need to play video; WMP does not. That explains the video part of it.

As far as the drive "recognizing" a program CD/DVD, open Windows Explorer and see if the title appears under the letter for you optical drive. If it does, it is recognized, just not auto playing for security reasons.
    Expand the folder of the program, find the exe file, click it and you will be able to install the program on the disk.

10. mebuckster

Hi Liz, thanks for the reply. The problem is that my PC did not acknowledge that there was a disc - M'soft Office - in the tray. I would dbl clk on the drive letter "E" and the tray would come open and a message would appear saying "please insert disc". Right now it seems I am back to the same problem, as I just now inserted that disc, nothing happened, so I did the dbl clk on E and the tray slides open and that message appeared. I thought the problem had gone away, until now.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice